Eastview Park was a former landfill site located north-west of Eastview Road and Watson Parkway North that opened in 1961. The 85-hectare landfill closed in October 2003 with approximately four million tonnes of solid, non-hazardous waste filling 45 hectares.
The Eastview Park Master Plan process was completed and approved by Council in 2009, with a plan to fund and build amenities over time.
Since then, the park is starting to take shape.
Current park features
- Lit and irrigated football fields, full-size soccer fields and mini soccer fields
- Beach volleyball courts
- Washrooms and change rooms
- Rentable concession stand and storage space
- Pollinator park (closed to the public)
- Pollinator garden
- Preserved wetlands
- Stormwater management pond
- Outdoor natural community ice rink (volunteer run)
Future park features
Envision the space with us
Turning the landfill into a home base for community and pollinators
In 2002, alternative concepts were prepared for the landfill site asking the public for help choosing what to do with the space. The community chose a park as the preferred concept. Meetings were held with the University of Guelph to discuss turning the landfill portion of the park into a home for pollinator-friendly initiatives.
Infrastructure was developed and installed from 2004-2008, including a cover to cap off the entire landfill portion of the site, to improve the health and safety of the landfill site for public use, including: a groundwater monitoring network, landfill gas collection system, power generation system and a leachate collection system. The portion of the former landfill site is fenced to prevent access and damage to infrastructure.
In 2008, Council approved a final master plan for the park, and in 2009, they approved a phased funding approach to the park. The final master plan includes an active recreation park and a pollinator park.
For more information
Luke Jefferson, Manager
Open Space Planning, Parks and Recreation
519-822-1260 extension 2527