A commitment to use energy more wisely and fight climate change
The Community Energy Initiative (formerly Community Energy Plan – CEP) is Guelph’s commitment to use and manage energy differently, better, than we have in the past. The initiative will also attract quality investment to the city. After all, experts agree that a reliable, sustainable energy supply is and will continue to be a key ingredient in the long-term competitiveness and prosperity of cities.
The main goal of the CEI is that Guelph will become a Net Zero Carbon community by 2050.
Council has set a further goal that City corporate operations will be powered by 100% renewable energy by 2050. Our Energy Guelph, a community social enterprise, will be the City’s partner in implementing the CEI.
What others are saying
Presentations, announcements and events
- City of Guelph committee OKs plan to become 100% renewable by 2050
- Council unanimously accepts Our Energy Guelph’s community energy recommendations
Awards and recognition
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Partners for Climate Protection program – Milestone Five, 2014
- FCM Sustainable Communities Award – Energy, 2014 (CEI)
- Quality Urban Energy Systems of Tomorrow (QUEST) Community Energy Builder Award – Local Government, 2015 for Guelph Energy Efficiency Retrofit Strategy (GEERS)
- FCM Sustainable Communities Award – Neighbourhood Design, 2018 (Guelph Innovation District Secondary Plan)
- GLOBE Climate Leadership Award – Large Municipal Trailblazer, 2018