Culture Plan 2030
Guelph has long enjoyed a reputation as a cultural hub; a community rich in arts, heritage, and creative industry; a community that has nurtured aspiring and world-class creators in all disciplines. Arts and culture are deeply woven into the Guelph brand.
To intentionally build on our grassroots success, we are developing a Culture Plan to guide future investment, collaboration, promotion, and growth of the local cultural sector. During this time of post-pandemic recovery, there is an opportunity to develop and implement a Culture Plan that aims to stabilize and regenerate the local creative sector, while firmly establishing culture as a sustainable driver of prosperity in Guelph.
The Culture Plan will define and leverage the City’s cultural identity; quantify and build capacity; foster collaboration and coordination between the City and the local creative community and ensure cultural considerations in City planning and decision-making processes. It will be representative of the diversity in Guelph, inclusive of multiple perspectives, and equitable in approach.
Phase 1: fall/winter 2018
- Information gathering and research
Phase 2: fall 2022/winter 2023
- Create. Play. Stay. Culture and Sport Tourism Strategy research and recommendations
Phase 3: spring/summer 2023
- Consultation with Culture leaders
- Final community engagement activities
- Draft Culture Plan 2030
Phase 4: autumn 2023
- Council consideration of final draft of Culture Plan 2030
Engagement is underway until July 28 to gather community insight on:
- The ways of expression that make up the cultural landscape in Guelph – who creates cultural content, who engages in cultural activity, where is culture experienced.
- Stories and data that support cultural development reflecting and honouring the feedback and needs expressed by identified audiences across Guelph with a vision toward 2030.
Catch us around town to share thoughts or ask questions
Our teams will be at cultural events, and public spaces, throughout the month of July and want to hear your ideas. Visit haveyoursay.guelph.ca for an up-to-date schedule and list of our pop-up locations.
- A United Vision: Guelph’s Community Plan
- Recreation and Parks Master Plan Update
- Economic Development and Tourism Strategy
- Guelph Museums & Culture Strategic Operating Plan
- Artist in Residence Program
- Public Art Policy and Procedures
- Artist opportunities
- Temporary art displays
- Community arts investment
For more information
Tammy Adkin, Manager, Museums and Culture
Culture and Recreation
519-826-1221 extension 2775