On this page
Learning and development
The City of Guelph is invested in supporting our employees to grow their careers. Our Career Path program offers employees a variety of opportunities. We support employees who are looking to grow in their field, advance their position, change direction, start a new career or learn to wind down as they get ready to retire. Programs include leadership development for current and aspiring leaders, continuing education funds to help employees gain the licenses, assessments of their experiences, education or designations needed to move into a future role and support of on-the-job training, committee and team work to help us learn from our experiences. New employees are supported to learn more about the City and our unique work environment through an onboarding program that includes opportunities to meet and connect with people from across the organization and to learn how your skills and experiences will become part of the Guelph Story.
Recognizing our employees is an important part of the way we work at the City of Guelph. Not only is recognition good for employee engagement but it makes a regular day at work, an even better day at work!
Through the City’s Say Thanks program, employees and their leaders are encouraged to recognize each other through a number of ways. See the Say Thanks brochure for more information.
Career education and outreach services
With over 1,500 different jobs, there are many ways our employees make a difference each day. Each year the City of Guelph works with our local partners in promoting careers within our municipal environment. Learn more about how our local government works and the many careers that help to support the quality of life in your community.
Diversity. It makes a difference. Almost 2,000 employees across our departments serve the needs of our city’s residents every day. As the Corporation of the City of Guelph, we pride ourselves on creating an inclusive culture of respect and collaboration for our workforce.
We recognize that healthy and engaged employees can better service our community. Check out our wellness strategy to learn more about our current programs and initiatives.
Compensation and benefits
At the City of Guelph we offer our employees an attractive total compensation package. In addition to competitive pay, we provide many other benefits and programs to support an engaging and rewarding experience for our staff.
- Statutory holidays and float days above employment standards
- Access to and discount on public transit
- Licensing, Education & Accreditation Program (LEAP) – Financial Support for Continuing Education
- Vendor Group discounts eg. computers, cell phone
- Free health assessments
- Uniforms/uniform allowance
- Safety boot allowance
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits
- Flexible work location policy
- Flexible time policy
- Hybrid Work Policy
- Municipal retirement plan – 50/50 employee/employer contribution
- Deluxe Travel insurance benefit
- Mileage reimbursement or car allowance
- Jury and Witness Duty pay
- Job required memberships and certifications paid
- Modified benefit plan for active employees post age 65
- Bereavement leave
- Pregnancy/Parental Leave Top Up – 15 weeks, up to 75-80% of employee’s base wage, less amount paid by EI for most employee groups
- Accidental death and dismemberment 100% paid by employer
- Short term disability paid at 75-100% – long term disability plan paid at between 70-75%
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program with a variety of services
- Discounts on recreation centre active living passes and selected River Run Centre performances
- Life insurance at 2-3 times annual salary with spouse and dependent life insurance options