The City of Guelph has picnic shelters at various locations to meet your recreation needs, which can be booked by submitting a Picnic Shelter Request Form. Please note a minimum of 72 hours is required for processing new or additional booking requests.315 KB2020 Picnic Shelter Request Form 144 KBInsurance Waiver Form 477 KBGeneral Facility Booking Policies
For more specific information about booking our facilities please review our 2020 Picnic Shelter Booking Guidelines.653 KB2020 Picnic Shelter Booking Guidelines
- Full payment must be received at time of booking
- Additional fees may be levied if additional services are required
- Payment may be made by cash, cheque, or credit card
- Debit cards payments are also accepted for in person bookings
City of Guelph cancellation policy
- Refunds are given to users that provide written notice at least 15 calendar days advance of the booked date
- Refunds will not be given for rain or inclement weather
Rental includes use of the shelter, access to water and electricity (standard outlet 15 amp service), picnic tables and garbage cans.
Water and electrical access is available between May 1 and Thanksgiving.
Small picnic shelters
- Accommodate up to 75 people
- 15 picnic tables (Riverside); 8 picnic tables (South End)
Riverside Park (green roof, 35 feet)
South End Community Park (square roof)
Large picnic shelters
- Accommodate up to 150 people
- 25 picnic tables
Riverside Park (red roof, 60 feet)
Guelph Lake Sports fields (red roof)
Barbecues and cooking equipment
- There is a charcoal barbecue at each shelter except Guelph Lake. Customers must supply their own charcoal.
- Barbecues (charcoal or propane) must not be placed under trees, tents, canopies, or picnic shelters. They must also be located away from combustibles.
- Event organizers using barbecues are required to have a multipurpose, class ABC extinguisher with a minimum 2A10BC rating in close proximity during use.
- Propane barbecue usage: A soap test must be conducted around all connections prior to igniting a propane barbecue.
For information on propane-fuelled equipment, flammable or combustible liquids please contact the Guelph Fire Department at 519-763-8111.
- For an event attended by the public or an event where you do not know each attendee, you are required to contact Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health at wdgpublichealth.ca at least 60 days prior to your event if you are serving food at a public event. This does not apply to private events where it will be attended by your invited guests only.
- A hand washing station must be placed in close proximity when cooking or barbecuing food for public consumption.
- Hydro (standard outlet, 15 amp service) is available between May 1 and Thanksgiving.
- Simple plug and play devices (coffee pots, kettles, radios – see sound amplification guidelines) are permitted at the picnic shelters, however they must be either CSA or ULC approved, including extension cords. Equipment being used outdoors should be rated for outdoor use.
- Amplified sound needs special permission at the Riverside Park picnic shelters due to their proximity to the enabling garden.
- Volume of radios or music devices should be kept low as to not disturb other park users.
Inflatables and amusement rides
Inflatables, bouncy castles, or amusement rides are not permitted at the Riverside Park picnic shelters.
You must have a copy of your facility rental permit with you on the day of your booking. It will clearly outline when you are permitted to be on site and includes the after-hours emergency contact number, should you require it.
Rental of the picnic shelters include the use of the shelter and immediate area only.
After hours emergency contact number (Extend Communications)
1-866-630-9242 Monday to Friday after 4 p.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and holidays
- This number is to be used for issues with sports fields and outdoor facilities that require immediate action.
- When calling this number, please provide as much information about the problem to the operator and, if possible, a contact number for return calls.
Questions or concerns
If you have any questions or concerns we would be very pleased to address them.
Facility booking staff
519-837-5678 Option 1
For more information
Supervisor – Recreation Bookings, Events and Promotions, Parks and Recreation
519 822 1260 extension 2618