About the picnic shelters
The City of Guelph has four shelters available for booking: two at Riverside Park, one at the South End Community Park and one at Guelph Lake Sports fields. Picnic shelters at Guelph Lake Sports fields and South End Community Centre may have limited availability due to close proximity to sports fields.
Rental includes use of the shelter, access to water and electricity (standard outlet 15 amp service), picnic tables and garbage cans.
Water and hydro are available between May 1 and Thanksgiving.
Small picnic shelters
- Accommodate up to 75 people
- 15 Picnic tables
Riverside Park (green roof, 35 feet)
South End Community Park (square roof)
Large picnic shelters
- Accommodate up to 150 people
- 25 picnic tables
Riverside Park (red roof, 60 feet)
Guelph Lake Sports fields (red roof)
Barbecues and cooking equipment
- There is a charcoal barbecue at each shelter except Guelph Lake. Customers must supply their own charcoal.
- Barbecues (charcoal or propane) must not be placed under trees, tents, canopies, or picnic shelters. They must also be located away from combustibles.
- Event organizers using barbecues are required to have a multipurpose, class ABC extinguisher with a minimum 2A10BC rating in close proximity during use.
- Propane barbecue usage: A soap test must be conducted around all connections prior to igniting a propane barbecue.
For information on propane-fuelled equipment, flammable or combustible liquids please contact the Guelph Fire Department at 519-763-8111.
- For an event attended by the public or an event where you do not know each attendee, you are required to contact Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health at wdgpublichealth.ca at least 60 days prior to your event if you are serving food at a public event. This does not apply to private events where it will be attended by your invited guests only.
- A hand washing station must be placed in close proximity when cooking or barbecuing food for public consumption.
- Hydro (standard outlet, 15 amp service) is available between May 1 and Thanksgiving.
- Simple plug and play devices (coffee pots, kettles, radios – see sound amplification guidelines) are permitted at the picnic shelters, however they must be either CSA or ULC approved, including extension cords. Equipment being used outdoors should be rated for outdoor use.
- Amplified sound needs special permission at the Riverside Park picnic shelters due to their proximity to the enabling garden.
- Volume of radios or music devices should be kept low as to not disturb other park users.
Inflatables and amusement rides
Inflatables, bouncy castles, or amusement rides are not permitted at the Riverside Park picnic shelters.
You must have a copy of your facility rental permit with you on the day of your booking. It will clearly outline when you are permitted to be on site and includes the after-hours emergency contact number, should you require it.
Rental of the picnic shelters include the use of the shelter and immediate area only.
2019 Schedule and fees
Requests will be accepted on a first come, first served basis beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday January 10, 2019. If applying by email, we will contact you by phone to collect credit card information for payment. Please be sure to include a phone number where you can be reached.
Booking times and fees
2019 proposed rates and fees. Full payment is due at the time of booking.
|Duration||Small picnic shelters (Riverside Park and South End Community Centre||Large picnic shelters (Riverside Park and Guelph Lake Sportsfields)|
|Half day (lunch) 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.||$75.58 +HST||$100.65 +HST|
|Half day (dinner) 2:30 p.m. to dusk||$75.58 +HST||$100.65 +HST|
|Full day||$119.08 +HST||$152.43 +HST|
- In person: Between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at City Hall (Service Guelph) or West End Community Centre
- Drop off at West End Community Centre
- Mail to West End Community Centre, 21 Imperial Road South, Guelph, Ontario N1K 1X3
- Phone: 519-837-5678, option 1
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 519-822-5569
Special event requirements
- If your event is a corporate or organizational event or if you are requesting special amenities, we ask that you complete the Special Event Application
- Depending on the nature of your event, you may be asked to meet additional requirements.
- Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted by the booking coordinator and advised of any additional requirements necessary to proceed with your event.
Terms and conditions
Cancellations / refunds
There will be no penalty for cancellations received in writing 15 calendar days prior to booking. Cancellations with less than 15 days written notice will not be refunded unless the facility is rebooked to another group for that specific date/time.
There will be no refunds due to rain or inclement weather.
- Full payment must be received at time of booking
- Additional fees may be levied if additional services are required
- Payment may be made by cash, cheque or credit card
(Note that if you are booking by telephone, by email, by fax or by mail, you must provide a Visa, Mastercard or American Express card number and expiration date.)
- Debit card payments are also accepted for in-person bookings
- Please be advised that all users of City of Guelph facilities will be required to obtain general liability insurance.
- The City can offer coverage through GameDay Insurance with rates starting at $2.50 per event for private family picnics.
- You may opt to provide your own insurance coverage; in which case, you must provide us with a Certificate of Insurance for general liability in the amount of $2,000,000; naming the City of Guelph as an additional insured.
- Please indicate your choice of options on the booking request form.