Apply for a marriage licence

Getting married

We have made changes to the marriage licence application process to ensure the safety of you and our staff assisting you.  Your patience and assistance are appreciated.

Please carefully review all instructions and requirements below to ensure your application is complete and we can issue your marriage licence.

Confirmation of residency

To support regional restrictions related to Ontario’s COVID response framework and to reduce travel across regions, marriage licence issuing services are only available to residents of the City of Guelph, County of Wellington, and Dufferin County.

Applicants will be asked to confirm their residency during the application process to ensure that one or both applicants are residents of the City of Guelph, Count of Wellington, or Dufferin County.

Marriage licence appointment process

  • Marriage licences are issued by appointment only and will take approximately 20 minutes.
  • Copies or photos of all required documents and identification must be submitted in advance to ServiceGuelph.
  • A ServiceGuelph team member will review the submitted paperwork for completeness and will contact you by email.
  • An appointment date and time will be assigned and further instructions provided. Appointments are only booked once submitted documents have been reviewed and determined to be complete and correct.
  • If submitted documents are incorrect or incomplete, you will be provided with additional instructions and asked to re-submit all documents.
  • If you do not attend your appointment with originals of the required documents and identification, a marriage licence will not be issued.
  • If your wedding is cancelled for any reason and you are unable to use your marriage licence within the 90 day validity period, you will need to re-apply and re-pay to get a brand new marriage licence with the new wedding date.

Request a marriage licence appointment

Please follow the steps below to prepare and submit documents required to request a marriage licence appointment.

  1. Download the marriage licence application form
  2. Print, complete, sign (must be original signatureselectronic signatures are not permitted) and date the application form (both applicants) 
  3. Make copies or take photos of:
  4. Submit copies of your application, required identification, and divorce documentation in an email to [email protected]
  5. ServiceGuelph will review your documents and will contact you by email to provide additional instructions and confirm your appointment date
  6. Attend your scheduled appointment at City Hall. You must bring originals of all previously-submitted documents and identification to your appointment (no photocopies or scanned documents will be accepted) including:

Acceptable identification

Both you and your partner must provide two pieces of original, valid, government-issued identification. At least one piece of identification must include a current photo and signature.

  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Passport
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Ontario Photo Health Card

We cannot accept expired identification.

Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator. If you do not understand or read English, please provide your own interpreter and they must provide identification. 

If you are under 18

Anyone who is 16 or 17 years old must get permission from their parents/guardians before getting married. You can request a consent form by emailing [email protected]

Widows and widowers

You do not need to provide proof of death of your former spouse to apply for a marriage licence.

If you were divorced in Canada

If an applicant’s previous marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, please submit the original or a court-certified copy of the Decree Absolute or the original Certificate of Divorce with your marriage licence application.

You can get original or certified documents from the courthouse where the divorce was granted. All documents will be returned.

We cannot accept a divorce judgement, divorce order, or photocopies.

If you were divorced outside Canada

If an applicant’s previous marriage ended in divorce outside Canada, you will need authorization from the Registrar General before you can get a marriage licence. To get this authorization, you and/or your lawyer must submit the following to the Office of the Registrar General:

  • A completed marriage licence application, signed by both applicants
  • A certified copy of the Decree Absolute or original Certificate of Divorce or Annulment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted by the court. Please include a translation if the divorce is in another language
  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized by the Province of Ontario.

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8