We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests for marriage licences. Apply early – a marriage licence can be used for up to 90 days from the date it is issued.
Before you begin
The following must apply:
- You or partner is a resident of the City of Guelph, County of Wellington, or Dufferin County.
Gather your documents
Below are the documents you must provide to apply for a marriage licence. All the documents will be returned to you.
- You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.
- If you are under 18 years old you will need written consent from both your parents. You can request a consent form by emailing [email protected].
You and your partner both need two (2) pieces of original, government-issued identification. One piece of identification for each of you must include your photo. The names on both pieces of identification must match. Examples include:
- birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
- valid driver’s licence
- valid passport
- Canadian Citizenship card
- record of immigrant landing
- valid Ontario photo health card
- valid Ontario Photo Card
Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator. The translation must be submitted with the identification.
If you or your partner were married before, you will need to provide divorce documents when you apply.
Divorced IN Canada
You will need to submit proof of the divorce when you apply for your marriage licence. This can be the original or court-certified copy of a:
- Decree Absolute
- Certificate of Divorce
You can get these documents from the courthouse where the divorce was granted.
Divorced OUTSIDE Canada
If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to send documents to ServiceOntario to prove you are no longer married. Once ServiceOntario has confirmed your documents, they will send you a Foreign Divorce Authorization letter. This process can take up to 4 weeks and must be completed before you apply for your marriage licence.
Follow the ServiceOntario instructions for out-of-country divorces to get a Foreign Divorce Authorization letter.
Complete the application
- Download and complete the marriage licence application form
- Print the completed form and sign and date the form (original signatures for both applicants).
Apply for your marriage licence
Once you have gathered your documents and completed the marriage licence application:
Make copies or take photos of your:
- Divorce documents
- Marriage licence application
What happens next?
Hearing from ServiceGuelph
After you apply for your marriage licence, you can expect to hear from us:
If your application and documents are complete
- We will book a marriage licence issuing appointment for you on the first available date and time.
If your marriage licence application, identification, or divorce documents are incomplete
- We will contact you by email to request that you correct and re-submit the required documents.
Attending your marriage licence issuing appointment
Marriage licences are issued at City Hall, 1 Carden Street. The appointment usually takes about 20 minutes.
Bring originals of all previously submitted documents and identification to your appointment (no photocopies or scanned documents will be accepted) including:
- Marriage licence application form (original signatures)
- Divorce documents
- Application fee of $150 (payment by debit or credit is preferred).
If you have questions about getting a marriage licence, please contact us.
519-822-1260 extension 2117