To apply for a marriage licence, please review all instructions and requirements below to make sure your application is complete and we can issue a marriage licence to you.
Before you begin
The following must apply to you:
- You (or your partner) is a resident of the City of Guelph, County of Wellington, or Dufferin County.
- You want to obtain your marriage licence in the next 14 days.
What you need to know
- Copies of all required documents must be submitted in advance.
- Your submitted documents will be reviewed for completeness.
- We will contact you and ask you to update and re-submit any documents that may be incomplete.
- A marriage licence issuing appointment will be scheduled for you only when all of your documents have been reviewed and are complete.
- You will need to attend your marriage licence issuing appointment with originals of all your previously submitted and reviewed documents.
- Your marriage licence issuing appointment will take approximately 20 minutes
- Your marriage licence will be valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to prepare and submit documents required to apply for a marriage licence.
Download, prepare, and submit documents
- Download the marriage licence application form.
- Print, complete, sign (original signatures) and date the application form (both applicants)
- Make copies or take photos of:
- Submit copies of your application, required identification, and divorce documentation in an email to [email protected]
- Your submitted documents will be reviewed and we will contact you by email to:
- Request updates to any incomplete documents (if necessary)
- Book your marriage licence issuing appointment and provide additional instructions.
You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.
If you are under 18 years old you will need written consent from both your parents. You can request a consent form by emailing [email protected]
Both you and your partner must provide two pieces of original, valid, government-issued identification. At least one piece of identification must include a current photo and signature. We cannot accept expired identification. Examples of acceptable identification include:
- Birth certificate, including any name change certificates
- Driver’s licence
- Canadian Citizenship card
- Record of immigrant landing
- Ontario photo health card
- Ontario Photo Card
Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator.
You will need to submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for your marriage licence. This can be the original or court-certified copy of:
- Decree Absolute
- Certificate of Divorce
You can get original or certified documents from the courthouse where the divorce was granted. All documents will be returned.
We cannot accept a divorce judgement, divorce order, or photocopies.
If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.
You will need to send the following documents to ServiceOntario:
- Marriage licence application form: completed and signed
- Statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness).
- Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
- Divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator
Please mail these documents directly to:
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
What to bring to your appointment
Bring originals of all previously-submitted documents and identification to your appointment (no photocopies or scanned documents will be accepted) including:
- Marriage licence application form: completed and original signatures for both applicants
- Identification: two pieces for each applicant
- Divorce documents: Certificate of Divorce or other foreign divorce documents
- Application fee of $150 (payment by debit or credit is preferred).
We’re here to help
If you have questions about getting a marriage licence please contact us.
519-822-1260 extension 2117