The aim of City of Guelph Emergency Response Plan is to make provision for the extraordinary arrangements and measures that may have to be taken to protect the health, safety, welfare, environment and economic health of the residents, businesses and visitors of the City of Guelph when faced with an emergency.
It enables a centralized, controlled and coordinated response to emergencies in the City of Guelph and considers the following issues:
- Ensure the earliest possible response and overall control of emergency operations;
- Undertake immediate actions to eliminate sources of potential danger within the affected area;
- Ensure that unaffected areas of the City continue to receive a reasonable level of service having regard for demands on resources occasioned by the emergency;
- Ensure coordinated acquisition and distribution of emergency resources, supplies and equipment;
- Establish an Emergency Operations Centre and any other necessary emergency operations control facilities, reception / evacuation centres, etc.;
- Arrange immediate first aid treatment and transport of casualties to hospitals and / or designated sites;
- Provide timely, factual, and official information to the emergency operations officials, media, public, and individuals seeking personal information;
- Commencement of coordinated recovery activities;
- Restoration of essential services.