Guelph is getting older
By 2031, the population of the City of Guelph is projected to be 175,000 with the greatest proportional increase in the 55+ age category, or 33% of all Guelph residents (Revised Official Plan, Local Growth Management Strategy, 2009/The Growth Outlook for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Hemson Consulting Ltd., January 2005). The impact of this demographic shift on the design and delivery of municipal services will present opportunities and challenges.
In the spring of 2012, Community and Social Services launched an initiative to develop an Older Adult Strategy. The purpose of the strategy is to create an age-friendly community that supports older adults to live in security, maintain their health and participate fully in society. In response, the City will adapt its structure and services to be accessible and inclusive of older people with varying needs and capacities.
In November of 2012, Committee of Community and Social Services, and subsequently Council approved the staff report.Older Adult Strategy Committee Report 870 kBOlder Adult Community Profile
November 3, 2016
What is an age-friendly city?
Guelph’s Older Adult Strategy is built using a framework consistent with the World Health Organization Dimensions of Age-Friendliness:
- outdoor spaces and buildings
- social participation
- respect and social inclusion
- civic participation and employment
- communication and information
- community support and health supports
Cities around the world are applying this framework, using a set of standard guidelines and tools to become age-ready and age-friendly.
View a checklist of essential features of age-friendly cities. (courtesy of the World Health Organization)
Volunteer161 kBAge Friendly Guelph Leadership Team and Working Group Volunteer Application – PDF format 168 KBAge Friendly Guelph Volunteer Application
News and resources441 kBAge-friendly Business Checklist
- Venture Guelph – June 2016, Age-friendly Guelph article (page 1): “Older adults find ally with Age Friendly Guelph”
- Venture Guelph – August 2016, Age-friendly Guelph article (page 6): ‘Is your business Age Friendly?’
- Venture Guelph – Novemeber 2016, Age-friendly Guelph article (page 3): ‘Better with age – Artful Aging Exhibition to feature local perspectives on getting older’