Guelph Junction Railway (GJR) was established in 1886 by a Special Act of the federal government to foster economic growth in Guelph and the surrounding communities. The City of Guelph has owned the railway since 1908. GJR operates on 38.6 kilometres of track that runs from Guelph Junction near Campbellville, Ontario to Guelph’s northwest industrial park. Guelph Junction Railway connects with the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Canadian National Railway.
December 20, 2016
October 5, 2016
July 25, 2016
June 8, 2016
November 9, 2015
- weekday regular service
- Saturday/Sunday/holiday switching service
- rush delivery service by appointment
- freight movement services provided by the Ontario Southland Railway
Guelph Junction Railway is used to transport industrial products such as grain, plastics, and lumber.
Community safety and regulatory compliance
Guelph Junction Railway operates safely and in compliance with Transportation Canada regulations.
Growth and infrastructure
Rail transportation is efficient over long hauls and is becoming more attractive compared to trucking for linking supply chains. Short line railways, like the GJR, provide the local link for long distance delivery.
Canadian National Railway (CN) and Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) will be using larger rail cars with heavier loads. To accommodate this, GJR is investing in its infrastructure to handle the new larger railcars.
Ownership, management and oversight
- The City owns Guelph Junction Railway and it is managed by Guelph Junction Railway’s board of directors.
- Guelph Junction Railway’s volunteer board of directors provides strategic governance and direction to Guelph Junction Railway’s interim Chief Executive Officer to meet the City’s objectives for the railway.
- A City management team, created in November 2015, provides the Guelph Junction Railway board and GM additional support and resources for legal, financial and business development matters.
For more information
Interim Chief Executive Officer, Guelph Junction Railway
519-822-1260 extension 2820