Property tax due dates
Interim tax bill
The first bill you will receive is the interim tax bill. This is calculated using the assessment roll and a portion of the previous year’s tax rate. This helps fund City services until the final tax bill is complete in the spring.
Your interim tax bill is mailed in February with two installment due dates.
- First installment due date: last business day in February
- Second installment due date: last business day in April
Final tax bill
The final tax bill will be sent to you once City Council passes the municipal budget for the year, and the provincial government sets the education tax rate, which typically happens in the spring.
Your final tax bill is mailed in June and includes two more installment due dates.
- Third installment due date: last business day in June
- Fourth installment due date: last business day in September
- at most financial institutions
- ServiceGuelph Counter, City Hall (after hours drop box is just west of the main entrance)
- Wait times are always shorter mid-month. Save yourself time by avoiding the end-of–month lineup.
- Tax Office, City Hall, 1 Carden Street, Guelph ON N1H 3A1
- Post dated cheques are accepted and held until due date
Phone or online
The City of Guelph Tax Office charges the following fees:
|Tax certificate – rush||$75|
|Statement of account||$25|
|Duplicate tax bill||$25|
|NSF administration fee||$40|
|PAD (Pre-Authorized Debit) Plan (re-join if cancelled)||$25|
|Additions to tax roll||$50|
|Change to PAD or banking Information||$25|
|Search tax information (per property)||$75|
|Local improvement property search||$25|
|Outstanding accounts receivable invoices||$25|
|New owner administration fee||$35|
|New roll number administration fee||$50|
|Warning notice – before tax sale registration||$25|
|Final notice – before tax sale registration||$50|
|Tax sale registration administration fee, setup||$150|
|Tax sale registration administration fee, when registered||$250|
|Mortgage company processing fee||$10|
|Account transfer fee||$25|
|EDI (banking payment) payment error||$25|
|Duplicate capping reports||$20|
|Tax appeal application (357 & 358)||$20|
|Postdated cheque retrieval||$20|
|Tax sale properties – extension agreement fee||$500|
|Commissioning – up to 2 signatures||$35|
Penalty and interest charges
A penalty for late payment of 1.25% per month is added the day following the due date and the first day of each month thereafter. Payments on accounts are applied first toward the outstanding interest and penalty, then to the oldest outstanding taxes.
This information can also be viewed on OntarioTaxSales.ca