The City of Guelph Street Occupancy Permit process requires any occupation of the City right of way to have a permit to protect both the City and the Contractor. You will require a street occupancy permit before starting any work on or occupying any portion of the City right of way or road allowance. This area includes the boulevard, the sidewalk and the roadway.
|Examples of Occupancies||Deposit Required|
|Temporary material placement on the City’s right of way (including receiving deliveries)||$500|
|Driving or operating construction equipment, vehicles, and trailers on or across the City’s curbs, sidewalks or boulevards (including construction access for work on private property)||$1,000 (or greater as assessed by Engineering)|
|Any and all digging including hydro-excavation which extends onto the City’s right of way||$1,000|
|Any work close to the dripline of a City owned tree||Special requirements|
|Temporary construction fencing placed on the City’s right of way||None|
|Placement of containers, such as disposal bins, newspaper containers, clothing donation bins, mobile storage units (including long term, short term or overnight placement)||None|
|Operation of cherry picker, backhoe, forklift, scissor lift, zoom boom, roof hoist on the City’s right of way||None|
|Hoisting with mobile or tower crane from right of way||None|
|Placement of scaffolding, plywood hoarding or covered walkway||None|
- Allow 21 business days to process permits that require full road closures (incl. directional closure)
- Allow 7 business days to process permits that require lane closures
- Allow 4 business days for permits not requiring lane closures or road closures
- Application form: You must complete, sign and date the Street Occupancy Permit Application form.
- Permit fee payment: $63.50(permit fee)+$25.00(admin fee)+$11.50(HST)=$100.00 payable with application at City hall by cash or cheque payable to the Corporation of the City of Guelph.
- Damage deposit: A damage deposit will be required as stated above. The City will retain the deposit until all work is completed and the final inspection is completed.
- Insurance: A certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $5,000,000.00 (five million dollars); the policy shall name the City as the certificate holder (additional insured) with respect to liability arising out of the operations/negligence of the Named Insured. This policy shall remain in place for the duration of the project.
- Traffic/pedestrian control plan: Email a completed Traffic Control and/or Pedestrian Control Plan in accordance with Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7 to Justin Mishko , Traffic Investigations. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-822-1260 extension 2041.
- Parking: If you need to occupy public parking spaces or metered spaces, contact the parking office 2 days in advance 519-822-1260 extension 2888, (choose option 2) or email email@example.com. Pre-payment of a minimum of $22.05 +HST per space/day will be required.
Please email, mail or hand-deliver your completed street occupancy permit applications to:
Program Manager, Technical Services
1 Carden Street, Guelph, ON N1H 3A1
519-822-1260 extension 2251