The City of Guelph Official Plan is a statement of goals, objectives and policies for growth and development for the next 20 years. The Official Plan is developed based on input from the community and it promotes the public interest in the future development of the city. The Official Plan is focused on sustainability and establishes policies that have a positive effect on the social, economic, cultural and natural environment of the city. The Official Plan strives to maintain a high quality of life for the residents of Guelph, reduce uncertainty concerning future development, and provides a basis for the Zoning By-law and other land use controls.
The Official Plan has been prepared and enacted in accordance with the provisions of the Planning Act. The Official Plan was adopted by City Council on November 1, 1994, approved by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing on December 20, 1995 and comprehensively updated by the City of Guelph on December 17, 2001. The Plan includes detailed provisions required to ensure conformity with the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, consistency with the Provincial Policy Statement and applicable Provincial legislation.
This online version of the Official Plan is a consolidation of the Official Plan policies in effect as of September 2014. It is provided for information purposes only. For legal purposes, reference should be made to the original certified documents which are on file with the City Clerk and subsequent Official Plan Amendments. Reference should also be made to all Ontario Municipal Board decisions.
It is important to note that the September 2014 consolidation only includes those amendments that were approved by Council and were in force as of September 1, 2014. Therefore, the 2014 Consolidation does not include the final version of Official Plan Amendment 43 (November 2016 Consolidation) or Official Plan Amendment 54 (August 2017). Planning Services should be consulted regarding inquiries and interpretation of the Official Plan.
- Official Plan Amendment 43 – Downtown Secondary Plan (In effect, November 2016 consolidation)
- Official Plan Amendment 54 – Guelph Innovation District Secondary Plan (In effect, August 2017)
The 2014 consolidation includes:
- Official Plan Amendment 42 – Natural Heritage Strategy (In effect except for 1 site specific appeal)
Active Official Plan Files
- Official Plan Amendment 48 – 5-year Review (Currently under appeal)
- Active Development Files (Includes Zoning By-law Amendments, Official Plan Amendments and Subdivision files)
Envision Guelph – Official Plan Update
The City’s Official Plan needs to be updated to meet legislative requirements under the Planning Act. The Planning Act requires that the Plan be revised every five years to ensure that the Plan is in conformity with provincial plans and is consistent with provincial policy.
The City’s most recent comprehensive update to the Official Plan; Envision Guelph; was approved by City Council in three phases:
- Phase 1: Official Plan Amendment 39 Growth Plan Conformity (approved by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, November 2009)
- Phase 2: Official Plan Amendment 42 Natural Heritage Strategy (approved by the Ontario Municipal Board, June 2014 with the exception of one site specific appeal); and
- Phase 3: Official Plan Amendment 48 Final Phase of the Five-year Review (was approved with modifications by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing on December 11, 2013) – currently under appeal in its entirety to the Ontario Municipal Board.
Official Plan Amendment Number 39 brought the City’s Official Plan into conformity with the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Official Plan Amendment 39 is approved and is in full force and effect.
Official Plan Amendment Number 42 introduced policies for the Natural Heritage System which establishes a sustainable greenspace network throughout the City.
Official Plan Amendment 42 is approved and is in full force and effect except for one site specific appeal.
Official Plan Amendment Number 48 is the final phase of the Official Plan Update. This phase ensures that the remaining sections of the Official Plan are in conformity with provincial legislation and plans and is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement. Official Plan Amendment 48 is currently under appeal in its entirety to the Ontario Municipal Board.
For more information