To position itself as a top employer in the community demonstrating excellence in human resources and people practices, the City of Guelph values learning and development for its employees. With the intent to be recognized as a learning organization, many programs and resources are in place to foster individual learning and invest in people’s skills. New employees benefit from a full orientation to the corporation and their specific job duties. Specific health and safety training is identified for each job in the organization and provided ongoing to ensure the well being of employees. Career Development services are available to all employees including one to one consultations regarding career and educational paths, resume and interview coaching, generous tuition assistance and workplace behavioural style assessments. Soft skill training sessions are offered throughout the year to support employee development with current jobs and future aspirations. A specialized orientation is in place for new leaders, which is supplemented with developmental offerings through the year.
Recognizing our employees is an important part of the way we work at the City of Guelph. Not only is recognition good for employee engagement but it makes a regular day at work, an even better day at work!
Through the City’s Say Thanks program, employees and their leaders are encouraged to recognize each other through a number of ways. See the Recreation Program flyer for more information.
With over 1,500 different jobs, there are many ways our employees make a difference each day. Each year the City of Guelph works with our local partners in promoting careers within our municipal environment. Learn more about how our local government works and the many careers that help to support quality of life in your community.
Diversity. It makes a difference. Almost 2,000 employees across our departments serve the needs of our city’s residents every day. As the Corporation of the City of Guelph, we pride ourselves on creating an inclusive culture of respect and collaboration for our workforce.
During the Corporate Values review process in 2007, employees identified strongly that wellness was important to them; thus resulting in it becoming one of the organization’s new values.
At the City of Guelph we offer our employees an attractive total compensation package. In addition to competitive pay, we provide many other benefits and programs to support an engaging and rewarding experience for our staff.
- Statutory holidays and float days above employment standards
- Access to and discount on public transit
- Licensing, Education & Accreditation Program (LEAP) – Financial Support for Continuing Education
- Vendor Group discounts eg. computers, cell phone
- Canada Savings Bonds Purchase Plan
- Free flu clinics
- Free health assessments
- Uniforms / uniform allowance
- Safety boot allowance
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits
- Alternative Work Arrangement
- Municipal retirement plan – 50/50 employee/employer contribution
- Deluxe Travel insurance benefit
- Mileage reimbursement or car allowance
- Jury and Witness Duty pay
- Job required memberships and certifications paid
- Modified benefit plan for active employees post age 65
- Bereavement leave
- Pregnancy/Parental Leave Top Up – 15 weeks, up to 75-80% of employee’s base wage, less amount paid by EI for most employee groups
- Accidental death and dismemberment 100% paid by employer
- Short term disability paid at 75-100% – long term disability plan paid at between 70-75%
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program with a variety of services
- Discounts on recreation centre active living passes and selected River Run Centre performances
- Life insurance at 2-3 times annual salary with spouse and dependent life insurance options