Legal Description: Pt Lot 59, Plan 35
The complete exterior (walls, roof, windows, doors and details) of the original two-storey stone structure is designated by this by-law. It is not the intention of this by-law to designate the interior or particular parts thereof.
Built about 1850, or earlier, the two-storey duplex survives as one of Guelph’s finer stone houses from that era. Its street façade has a series of distinguished architectural features, some rather rare among Ontario buildings of the period. Framed with beveled corner quoins, the ashlar limestone masonry is crowned with a fine classic stone cornice. The window architraves and sill-brackets are of carved stone. First floor windows are impressive with complex moldings and decorative hood-molds. Three Tuscan-styled pilasters, each cut from a single block of stone, frame the recessed entrances and support a classic entablature, also of carved stone. The structure has been well-maintained and the interiors retain many original features. The designation covers only the original two-storey stone structure.