Boarding House Arts (formerly Guelph Civic Museum)
Bylaw: (1977)-9424 (repeals (1977)-9377)
Legal description: Pt Lot 1027, Plan 8
Designated Portions – not defined in by-law
The stone building at Six Dublin Street is a significant and important example of Ontario commercial architecture of the late 1840’s. Situated along the first road into Guelph and at the centre of the city’s original business district of the pre-railway era, this building is the largest constructed in Guelph before 1850 and among the earliest stone structures in the city. Its construction in 1847 is attributed to William and Thomas Day, well-known, mid-nineteenth century Guelph builders. Operated as the “Victorian Inn” by William Armstrong from 1847 to 1850, the building served subsequently as a store, school, professional offices, premises for a lumber merchant and for many years as a boarding house. In 1921 it was purchased by the Canadian Legion and from 1931 to 1977 it served the Knights of Columbus.
The excellent stone craftsmanship of the fine ashlar façade is exemplary of the skill that distinguishes Guelph stone architecture in the period 1845-65 and is comparable to the best in the province of Ontario. The building’s fine proportions, generous size and relationship to its original condition adds to it’s historic and architectural significance.