The Phoenix Mill
Legal description: Unit 7, Level 1, WCP 38
- Random limestone walls, with cut limestone trim, on the façade facing Waterloo Avenue and on the south-westerly gable-end wall of the original three-storey stone building
- Design, appearance and location of the original windows in the two designated walls. It is understood that earlier doors in the south-westerly wall may be transformed into matching windows.
- The front slope of the gable roof, thus retaining the gable-ends above the south-westerly and north-easterly walls of the original three storey building. The roof may be returned to an earlier authenticated material without requiring permission under Section 33 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1980.
This structure is only one of the former water-powered mill buildings left intact in Guelph. The building was started in 1870 by M.J. Patterson and A.J. Butt, and flour and gristing operations began sometime in 1871. In 1912, it became part of the Sterling Rubber factory and its successors.
The Phoenix Mill is built of local limestone with a very clean, uncomplicated profile. Each vertical rectangular window has double sash totaling twelve panes of glass. Stone sills and lintels are used at the windows. Cut limestone blocks are built into the corner of the building and along the sides of the windows and doors.
The designation covers the Waterloo Avenue façade and the southwesterly gable-end wall (towards the mill stream) of the original stone building, including the design and location of the original windows in those walls. It also includes the front slope of the gable roof. The designation does not affect the rear slope of the gable roof or any part of the later two-storey, shed-roofed addition at the rear of the structure (facing south-east).