Legal description: Lot 16, Plan 208
- The designation includes:
- The front, westerly and easterly exterior brick walls of the original 1876 house;
- The rear exterior brick wall of the original 1876 house, where exposed
- All door and window openings on the designated exterior brick walls
- The carved stone lintel over the front doorcase, the front entrance door, the front entrance doorcase, fanlight and glass, and the sidelights (excluding the non-original glass);
- All windows, storm sashes and the blind shuttered windows on the designated exterior walls;
- The roofline over the original 1876 house (but excluding the chimney and the existing roof fabric);
- On the front porch the cast stone posts and steps, the wood columns, railings, balusters, floor and ceiling (excluding the porch roof and enclosed deck);
- Inside the house the plaster ceiling mouldings, the centre plaster mould in the livingroom, and the complete staircase including the cherrywood balusters, banister and newel posts.
The designation excludes the later rear brick addition.
It is intended that any non-original features may be restored to documented earlier designs or their documented original form without requiring City Council permission for an alteration to the designation.
The handsome two-storey Italianate dwelling was built in 1876 for local manufacturer Christopher Campbell. This building, constructed of red brick with strong buff brick accents, features other elements typical of the Italianate style, including raised quoins, a hipped roof and arched lintels over curved top double windows. The front entrance is highlighted by a decorative carved stone lintel over the doorcase, which features glass sidelights and fanlight. Of particular significance is the unusual brick and pier construction of the building, which may be unique to the Guelph area. The interior of the original 1876 portion of the dwelling is enhanced with ornate plaster ceiling mouldings and original wood trim and still contains the original curved cherrywood staircase. Also of interest is the later L-shaped wood front porch which is supported by patterned with textured concrete posts.
This was the first dwelling constructed on the north side of Liverpool Street, between Dublin and Glasgow streets, and remained so until 1892. Christopher Campbell, who occupied the building until 1891, was a local manufacturer of soap and candles and was also a partner with Guelph merchant James Massie in the firm “Massie and Campbell”, manufacturers of wholesale biscuits and confectioneries. The dwelling was subsequently owned by George T, Moore, an organ regulator with the Bell Organ and Piano Company, under whose ownership the front porch and the rear brick addition were constructed. The 1992 owners, Owen and Barbara Scott, are responsible for restoring many of the interior and exterior features of the house.
Elements of the building being designated include the front, westerly and easterly exterior brick walls of the original 1876 portion of the house and the original rear exterior brick wall, where exposed. All door and window openings on the designated exterior walls are covered by the designation, including the carved stone lintel over the front doorcase, the front entrance door, doorcase, fanlight and glass and the sidelights (excluding the non-original glass), as well as all windows, storm sashes and the blind shuttered windows. Also included in the designation is the roofline of the 1876 building, but the chimney and existing roof fabric are not covered by the designation. Elements of the front porch covered by the designation include the cast stone posts and steps and the wood columns, railings, balusters, floor and ceiling, but not including the porch roof and enclosed deck. Elements of the interior of the building being designated include the plaster ceiling mouldings, the centre ceiling plaster mould in the living room and the complete staircase, including cherrywood balusters, banister and newel posts. The later rear brick addition is excluded from the designation.