Legal description: Part Lot D, Plan 196
The designation includes:
- the entire stone exterior of the building, including all exterior stone walls and parapets;
- all window and door openings, including the transom opening;
- the two bay windows on the Liverpool Street façade, including all wood trim;
- the roof line of the building, excluding the modern skylights on the roof
- the existing brick chimneys
This two-storey dwelling, constructed of local limestone circa 1872, was originally built as a single family dwelling by William Pearson, a well known local builder and stone mason, as his residence. Pearson, whose largest contract was the masonry work for the Second Methodist Church (Dublin Street United Church), built in 1874, retained ownership of the dwelling to 1879, when the house was purchased by local grocer and fruit merchant, Hugh Walker. Walker, who represented St. Andrew’s Ward as Alderman between the years 1897-1901, resided in the dwelling with his family until the mid 1890’s and retained ownership of the property to 1911. It was under Walker’s ownership that alterations were made to the original structure, particularly a two storey stone addition to the easterly wall of the building in 1894, and conversion of the building to a semi-detached dwelling.
The fine stone craftsmanship of this building is enhanced by two matching bay windows on the Liverpool Street façade. The designation covers the entire exterior of the building, including all exterior stone walls and parapets, all window and door openings, including the transom openings, the two bay windows, including all wood trim, and the roof line of the building, including the existing brick chimneys, but excluding the modern skylights on the roof.