Legal description: Part Lot 6, Concession 4, Division G
- The designation includes:
- the entire stone exterior of the building;
- all door and window openings;
- the existing roof line of the building;
- all interior pine floors, and
- the entire grounds of the property, including all major trees
The wooden addition located on the south side of the building, the front porch located on the north side of the building and the existing detached garage are not included in the designation.
The designation also does not prevent such surface uses as gardens, patios, driveways, fences or walks, the planting of new landscaping material or the removal of dead or diseased trees.
Built circa 1870, this two-storey limestone dwelling survives as a reminder of the well-built stone farmhouses which were once part of the rural lands outside of the City’s original boundaries. A fine example of the stone craftsmanship of the period, the house was likely built for Simon Smith, a well-known stone cutter and much respected resident of Guelph Township who owned the 20 acre parcel of land containing this building from 1860 to 1881. The land remained in the Smith family until 1889. It is thought that the house was originally built as a one-and-a-half storey dwelling which was later upgraded to two stories circa 1900 when the land was under the ownership of John Crane. The building has been well maintained over the years, and the owner in 1991, Elspeth Newton, had the entire stone exterior repointed in 1990.
The designation includes the entire stone exterior of the building, all door and window openings, the existing roof line and all pine floors inside. The designation also covers the entire grounds of the property, including all major trees, but does not prevent such surface uses as gardens, patios, driveways, fences or walks or the planting of new landscaping material.