Legal description: PLAN 8 LOT 595 LOT 579 LOT578 PT LOT 596
The designation affects the total grounds, including all stone structures (house, garage, gate posts) and all major trees. The designation takes in the main entrance vestibule built in the 1920’s. On the interior, only the excellent ceiling medallions and plaster mouldings, the seven fireplaces, and the handsome hardwood staircase with its stair-hall are designated. It is intended that any of the designated elements may be restored to an earlier authentic state.
One of the finest large stone houses in Guelph. Front portion skillfully built of local limestone in the mid 1870’s. Part of a group of significant stone buildings in its block. Features quality stone-work, arched upper windows and other characteristics of the late Italianate style. The rear portion of the house appears to have been a more modest first phase of construction. Large grounds include a rubble-stone garage (former stable) and many mature trees.
The house was built for Walter H. Cutten, Lawyer. In 1889, it was sold to John Crowe, Foundry Owner, and then became the home of the family of William M. Foster, Dentist, from 1890 to 1922. W.E. Buckingham, Lawyer, then purchased the home and it remains with his daughter Sophia and her husband, Lawyer Richard B. Hungerford, at the time of designation (1985).