Legal Description: Part Lot 42, Hubbard’s Survey, Plan 35
- The exterior of the limestone walls on the north-east, south-east and north-west sides of the stone section of the building; ‘
- The gable roof and eave brackets;
- Size and location of windows and doors in the north-east, south-east and north-west walls.
It is intended that former windows may be re-opened in the south-east wall and that windows may be converted to earlier types appropriate to the period of construction.
This two-storey stone dwelling was built for Samuel Hodgskin, Accountant, in 1871-72 on Lot 42 of Hubbard’s Survey (R.P. 35). The brick addition at the rear is believed to have been added by Hodgskin about 1877. This is one of a series of three fine stone houses of varied styles which form a unified grouping, unequalled elsewhere in Guelph, between Charles Street and Edwin Street.
With a bracketed façade gable, this tasteful masonry house is characteristic of a building style used in homes of modest pretentions during the 1870’s. In its 112 years, it has had a variety of owners and tenants. It was converted to four apartments in the late 1940’s but extensive restoration work was carried out in early 1981 by the present owners, Illusion Designed Interiors, resulting in an interior design showroom and residence.
The designation affects only the exterior of the three exposed walls and roof of the stone section of the building.