Legal Description: Part Lot 56, Plan 35, Part 2 of 61R-2862
The designation includes:
- All of the exterior limestone walls of the dwelling
- The roofline over the entire building;
- The board and batten addition at the rear of the dwelling, but excluding the modern doors and windows;
- All door and window openings on the designated stone walls;
- Inside, the designation covers the original pine floors.
It is intended that non-original features may be returned to documented earlier designs or to their documented original form without requiring City Council permission for an alteration to the designation.
This limestone cottage was built in 1873 by local masonry contractor Thomas Dobbie. Dobbie, along with partner Walter Grierson, was responsible for the stonework on a number of major downtown buildings including the original Provincial Winter Fair Building and the Post Office/Customs House in St. George’s Square. The lot occupied by this cottage was first purchased by the Dobbie family in 1862, and after its construction the dwelling was leased to a number of tenants including Henry H. Swinford, the town’s Inspector of Weights and Measures. Thomas Dobbie retained ownership of the property until 1886. In 1891, hotel clerk John Kelly purchased the building which remained in the Kelly family to 1973. The owners at the time of designation, Peter and Anne MacDougall, have continued to make improvements to the dwelling which were initiated by former owner Bridget O’Brien in the early 1990s.
The designation includes the entire stone exterior of the building, including all door and window openings, the roofline and the board and batten addition to the rear of the dwelling, but excluding the modern windows and doors. Inside, the designation covers the original pine floors.