Located at 55 Devere Drive (backing onto Dovercliffe Park)
About the garden
- The Kortright Food Security Garden was birthed during the pandemic as a way to use our property to ensure that no one in our city would go hungry
- We are a larger urban garden at about 1/4 of an acre, and we focus on root vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots) as well as a variety of other vegetables, such as beans, cabbage, tomatoes, zucchini, kale, and much more
- We also focus a portion of the garden on pollinating flowers
- All of the produce goes to organizations such as Chalmers Centre, who then distribute it to those in need
- We give any excess to neighbours and other organizations that have the capacity to receive and distribute (such as The Seed)
- We have been able to give away over 10,000lbs of produce from 2020-2022 and hope to continue to give away more in the years to come.
We love having volunteers from the community from March-October as we prepare seedlings, plant, harvest and weed, and close out the garden each year. Please email [email protected] to stay connected and to learn how to get involved.