About the project
The City of Guelph is doing a land use study and urban design concept plan for the York Road/ Elizabeth Street area. Land use refers to the purpose the land serves, for example, residential, commercial, recreational or industrial.
The land use study was approved by Council on May 10, 2021. The study area runs along York Road from Stevenson Street South—captures part of Johnson Street—to Watson Parkway south and is bound by the Metrolinx/CN rail line to the north. The plan area also includes the south side of York Road between Stevenson Street and Victoria Road as shown in the map below.
The study considers:
- the buildings next to York Road, Victoria Road and Stevenson Street
- the transition between residential and non-residential uses
- appropriate land uses along the rail corridor
- identifying large-scale redevelopment and intensification opportunities
- if the study area should include an Employment Area
- examining the mixed business and service commercial land uses
200 Beverley Street
While the former IMICo lands, located at 200 Beverley Street, are within the study area boundary, the Council-approved vision for these lands will not be re-examined as part of this study. Learn more about the 200 Beverley Street lands.
- September 2020: Background report released
- Late 2020: Community engagement
- Early 2021: Draft land use study and additional community engagement
- May 2021: Land use study to Council
- Mid 2021: Drafting urban design concept and additional community engagement
- Late 2021: Final land use study and urban design concept plan
Opportunities to have your say have closed.
We received your feedback in September 2020 and again in February 2021. Results are available to view below.
Learn more about the project by reading the background report and viewing the presentation. These materials outline the history of the area and its current development including opportunities and challenges for future planning in the area.
For more information
Stacey Laughlin, Senior Policy Planner
Planning and Building Services
City of Guelph
519-822-1260 extension 2327