On this page
Use the OnYourWay app to purchase monthly passes, rides, load e-cash, and pay to ride the bus. The mobile app is a digital version of the OnYourWay fare card and is free to download from the App Store or Google Play. It generates a digital account number that is different than the physical OnYourWay fare card. Both accounts cannot be linked with each other and transit customers are encouraged to use only one account type to pay to ride the bus.
The app supports the purchase of rides, passes (for adult, youth, senior, post-secondary or affordable categories) and loading e-cash. Before boarding the bus, customers will open the app on their smartphone to generate a QR code. It’s now ready to scan on the farebox. The QR code appears for 20 seconds before it expires. If the QR code disappears before being scanned, customers can generate another QR code. No fare is deducted from the account until the QR code has been scanned.
The app automatically stores a bus transfer to be used within 60 minutes. When transferring buses, customers will generate a QR code to show the transfer and then scan the QR code on the farebox.
How to use the app
- Download the OnYourWay app from Apple Store or Google Play.
- Click the “Sign Up” link to create a profile.
- Select the appropriate account type (adult, senior, youth or post-secondary).
- An email with a confirmation link will be sent to you. Click on the confirmation link.
- Log into the app and fill out the account information. Review and accept the terms and conditions and collection and sharing of information and click ‘Save’.
- Adult category: You may now proceed to use the app.
- Senior, youth, post-secondary and affordable categories: Please access the eligibility link below to submit your supporting documentation. Once your documents are received and verified you will be notified via email from [email protected] with a confirmation of your account activation and instructions on next steps for loading your fares online.Have ready:
- Postal code
- Fare card number (your digital (OnYourWay app) account number (displayed in your account profile, at the top)
- Proof of eligibility (e.g. government issued ID, tuition receipt, enrolment letter, time table, etc)Reduced transit fare eligibility form
Note: the following categories are temporary programs and not available on the app: affordable tier A, tier B, the kids ride free pass and corporate staff.
Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation email from [email protected] with instructions on how to proceed.
- To purchase a fare, tap on the shopping cart and select the pass or amount of rides you want to purchase. For post-secondary passes, select the pass by institution name “Con” for Conestoga College, and “Oth” for all other post-secondary institutions.
- Click ‘checkout’ and fill in your credit card or Debit Visa/Mastercard information. Tap the ‘Pay’ button.
- Your receipt will be displayed and sent to your email. Tap the ‘Back to Home’ button.
Pay for a ride
- When boarding the bus, tap the ‘Generate QR Code’ button from the home screen and scan the QR code on the QR barcode reader on the farebox. The QR code is valid for 20 seconds. If you don’t get a chance to tap it on the bus within this time, simply generate a new QR code. You will only be charged for the QR code that is scanned.
- If you need to transfer buses, your transfer is built into the QR code. When you transfer to a new bus, generate a new QR code and scan it on the farebox. Your transfer is valid for 60 minutes from the first QR code that was generated. To verify time remaining on your transfer, go to your history to determine the time you purchased your ride.
- Verify the balance on your account by selecting the account balance icon.
Personal information provided when you sign up to use the Guelph Transit OnYourWay mobile app will be used to create and manage your OnYourWay account, manage fare transactions, provide related services, and communicate with you regarding these matters. Please review the terms and conditions before signing up.
When you use the OnYourWay mobile app additional personal information may be collected and linked to your account (e.g. dates and time of travel). Using the OnYourWay mobile app is optional and you may choose to purchase fares with an OnYourWay fare card instead.
Personal information, as defined by Section 2 of MFIPPA, is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and in accordance with the provisions of MFIPPA.
If you have questions about Guelph Transit services or reduced fare cards, please contact 519-822-1811 option 3 or email [email protected].
If you have questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of this personal information, please contact the City’s Information and Access Coordinator by phone at 519-822-1260 extension 2349 or email [email protected].