Starting August 8, 2023, Guelph Transit fares when connecting to and from the GO Transit train will be free. To receive the benefit, simply link your OnYourWay and PRESTO accounts to enrol in the Connect-to-GO (co-fare) discount program.
Once the new co-fare program begins, Guelph Transit will no longer accept PRESTO cards to ride city buses. Instead, tap your PRESTO-linked OnYourWay fare card when you get on the bus, then tap it again on one of two co-fare validator machines when you hop off at Guelph Central Station to refund your bus fare.
How to link your transit accounts
Before using the validator for the first time, you’ll need to link your accounts by enrolling in the co-fare discount program.
- Access the Reduced Transit Fare Eligibility portal at guelph.ca/reducedtransitfareeligibility
- Add your name, email address and full mailing address and upload images of:
- Your registered OnYourWay fare card showing the card number
- Your PRESTO card showing the account number
- A piece of government-issued identification (including full mailing address so we can link your accounts)
Guelph Transit staff will notify you by email once your enrolment is confirmed.
How does it work
- Travelling to Guelph Central Station on Guelph Transit, tap your OnYourWay card when you board the bus. Tap your OnYourWay card on the co-fare validator at Guelph Central Station.
- Travelling from Guelph Central Station on Guelph Transit, tap your OnYourWay card on the co-fare validator when you got off the GO train. Tap your OnYourWay card when you board Guelph Transit.
Once you have tapped your OnYourWay card on both devices you will receive a refund of the fare for the trip.
The co-fare program is only available for the GO Train and does not apply to the GO Bus.
Our commitment: Guelph Transit is committed to multi-modal transportation and will continue to encourage passengers who ride GO Transit to use Guelph Transit to take them to and from the GO Transit.
Frequently asked questions
I see a correction on my OnYourWay account, what does this mean?
If you tapped on the bus and on the co-fare validator and did not take a GO train trip, the refund you received will be reversed on your OnYourWay account.
My OnYourWay card is not registered, do I still qualify?
Yes, when you request to link your OnYourWay fare card and PRESTO card through our Reduced Transit Fare Eligibility form, your OnYourWay fare card will be registered. Guelph Transit staff will notify you by email once your enrolment is confirmed.
Why did I not receive a refund for my trip? I tapped my OnYourWay fare card on the Guelph Transit bus and on the co-fare validator, and I tapped my PRESTO card on the PRESTO machine when boarding the GO train.
Please forward your OnYourWay card number to [email protected] with the date and time of the trip and Guelph Transit staff will investigate.
I replaced my OnYourWay fare card is my PRESTO card still linked?
When you replaced your OnYourWay fare card using the Reduced Transit Fare Eligibility form your PRESTO card remains linked to your account, no matter the card replacement.