On this page
Joining the program
If you live in an apartment, condominium or townhome, please contact your property owner or manager to ask if or when they plan to consider using Guelph’s three-stream waste collection program.
Here’s how multi-residential property managers or owners can participate in the City of Guelph’s municipal waste collection services:
- contact us and arrange a site visit to make sure the waste collection access point and process is suitable and safe;
- submit a waste management plan for approval;
- sign an agreement to allow the City to collect waste at your property;
- get insurance for collection on private property
- distribute a letter, educational materials and promotional supplies to residents to introduce the program; and
- sort waste into three-streams (organics, recyclables and garbage)
Blue box transition
All municipalities in Ontario are transitioning the blue box program to a new collection model called producer responsibility. Producer responsibility requires the companies that produce blue box materials to fully fund and operate the recycling system, including collecting from multi-residential properties.
Starting in January 2025, City-serviced multi-residential blue box collection will transition to the producer responsibility system and the City of Guelph will stop collecting recycling from multi-residential properties but continue to collect garbage and organic waste.
New multi-residential properties opening in 2025 will be eligible for free service through the producer responsibility program and existing buildings using a private collector for recycling will become eligible in January 2026.
For more details on the blue box transition and how multi-residential properties are affected, visit our webpage on blue box changes in 2025.
Agreement City Collection of Waste at Multi-residential Property using Communal CollectionGuidelines for Solid Waste CollectionRequest for City Waste Collection ServicesWaste Management Plan and Source Separation Commitment – Developers and RedevelopersWaste Management Plan and Source Separation Commitment – Existing PropertiesProper Sorting Printout for ResidentsSorting Poster (11 x 17)Sorting Poster (8.5 x 11)
For more information
Solid Waste Resources