Yard waste includes
- Shrub and hedge trimmings
- Woody plants (including vines, rose bushes)
- Brush, branches, and tree limbs with a diameter less than 5 cm (2 inches)
Grass clippings are not accepted in your green cart or during curbside yard waste collection.
Manage yard waste on your property
Leave grass clippings on the lawn. They act like natural fertilizer adding nutrients to the soil as they decompose.
Mulched leaves make great fertilizer too. Instead of raking and bagging leaves each fall, mow over them and leave them on the lawn.
Drop it off
You can bring yard waste and grass clippings to Guelph’s Waste Resource Innovation Centre all year round.
Bagged yard waste collection – spring and fall
Check guelph.ca/waste for dates or sign up for reminders.
Use paper bags or a clearly labelled bin (less than 100 litres). We do not collect yard waste in plastic bags.
Use string or twine (not plastic or metal) to tie branches in bundles no larger than one metre (three feet) long by 0.6 metres (two feet) wide.
Each bundle, bag or container of yard waste must weigh less than 20 kilograms (44 pounds).
Place yard waste bags and bundles within 0.3 metres (one foot) of the curb, and one metre (three feet) away from your green, blue and grey carts.
How to dispose of invasive plants or infested wood
Wood affected by emerald ash borer
- Bring to Guelph’s Waste Innovation Resource Centre
- Infested ash material is treated as waste and drop off fees apply
Wood from termite control zones
- Stack wood in a pile or bin
- Call 519-837-5614 to schedule an inspection
- The termite control officer will inspect and write a field report
- Bring wood to Guelph’s Waste Innovation Resource Centre
- Present the field report to waive tipping fees for the first 500 pounds
- Giant hogweed: Seal it in two layers of clear plastic garbage bags and put it in your grey waste cart. Do not put it in your compost, green cart or yard waste bags.
- Dog-strangling vine and buckthorn: Put it in the grey waste cart. Do not put it in your compost, green cart or yard waste bags.
For more information
Solid Waste Resources