What we do
Engineering and Transportation Services plan, design and manage the construction and rehabilitation of essential municipal services such as roads, watermains, sewers, active transportation facilities and other infrastructure. We also conduct engineering reviews for development applications (e.g. subdivisions) to ensure growth projects meet City standards.
This team manages and delivers on a significant capital project portfolio for a variety of engineering disciplines including environmental, stormwater, water, wastewater, and transportation.
One of this department’s mandates is to manage traffic operations including traffic signals, plan for the city’s future transportation needs and implement improvements to existing transportation infrastructure, which includes road safety initiatives and providing parking services in downtown Guelph.
The City’s corporate asset management and project management programs are also administered through this department.
Why we do it
2021 to 2024+ initiatives
- Complete the Transportation Master Plan update.
- Plan, design and build active transportation facilities from the Cycling Master Plan, Sidewalk Needs Assessment and Active Transportation Network Study and as approved in the capital plan.
- Implement the Community Road Safety Strategy.
Operating budget—Revenues and expenses
2021 budget changes explanation
$79,300 or 4.1% net decrease in budget in 2021 due to:
- $76,460 net decrease in transportation compensation due to a position being reallocated to the Asset Management Division
- Implementation of the Red Light Camera program has budgeted revenues and expenses of $100,000 for 2021
2022 to 2024 budget changes explanation
$126,155 net increase in traffic operating budget from 2022 to 2024 due to:
- Full-year impacts of the Red Light Camera program including contractual obligations and net new revenues
- Two new Transportation Analyst positions as part of the planned Emerging Transportation Technology Office to plan and address changing transportation needs as identified in the Strategic Plan