The Emergency Medical Service (EMS) system within the City of Guelph and the County of Wellington has been developed through committed partnerships between Guelph-Wellington Emergency Medical Service, Cambridge Central Ambulance Communications Centre, local Base Hospital Program, Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health, 7 Tiered Fire Services, and local hospitals.
Our excellence in maintaining the highest level of patient care results from the dedication of our Paramedics, Dispatchers, Nurses, Doctors and support staff who provide care to the communities we serve.
Who we are
The Land Ambulance Performance Agreement with the contracted service provider (Royal City Ambulance Service Ltd.) expired December 31st, 2008. Council directed that emergency medical services be delivered as a municipal operation providing service to the City of Guelph, County of Wellington and other areas as required by the Ontario Ambulance Act and related principles for service. The transition from the private contracted service to the municipally operated Guelph–Wellington Emergency Medical Service was completed January 1st 2009.
Currently Guelph-Wellington Emergency Medical Services employs 135 full and part time Paramedics.
- 5 Paramedic Field Supervisors
- 45 Full-time Primary Care Paramedics
- 44 Part-time Primary Care Paramedics
- 29 Full-time Advanced Care Paramedics
- 12 Part-time Advanced Care Paramedics
Ambulance dispatch is under the control of the Ontario Ministry of Health “Central Ambulance Communications Centre” located in Cambridge ON; local Emergency Medical Services response selection is based on closest Emergency Medical Services unit response without regard for City/ County or municipality boundaries.
Pre-hospital care initiatives and medical oversight is through the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research, Hamilton Health Sciences
Guelph-Wellington Emergency Medical Service is dedicated to provide compassionate quality ‘patient focused’ medical service with continuous improvement to the Emergency Medical Services System ensuring that the public receives the highest quality of coordinated patient care services.
Guelph-Wellington Emergency Medical Services is committed to service excellence through:
- Promoting high standards, exemplary customer service, preparedness, continual education, and collaborative efforts with other agencies and strategic community partners
- Developing annual goals, objectives, and targets to advance our performance in terms of both regulated and unregulated impacts.
- Identifying and complying with pertinent requirements of the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care acts, legislation, standards and policies; and all industry codes that we must adhere to.
- Requesting the necessary resources to successfully carry out our goals, objectives, and targets.
- Making personnel aware of their safety, health and environmental roles and responsibilities, providing appropriate training, and holding employees accountable for their performance and actions, including recognizing them for outstanding performance.
- Considering safety, health and environmental impacts when making policy, planning, purchasing, and operating decisions.
- Correcting identified deficiencies in a timely manner and taking appropriate steps to prevent their recurrence.
160 Clair Road West
Guelph, ON N1L 1G1
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Administration Office is closed weekends and holidays.
519-822-1260 extension 2891
519-822-1260 extension 2891
519-822-1260 extension 2105
Recruitment and qualifications
Recruitment for paramedics occurs periodically through the year.