Part-time Paramedics: The application process for part-time paramedics has now closed as of February 27, 2013.
Full-time Positions: We are not currently accepting applications for full-time positions. Please check our website on a regular basis for updates regarding future recruitment.
If you are interested to learn more about the Guelph Wellington EMS recruitment process for part-time paramedics, we encourage you to review the information outlined below. Please note, recruitment takes place on an as needed basis only. We encourage you to check our website on a regular basis for updates. Resumes submitted during periods where the posting is inactive will not be accepted.
The information provided below may be subject to change.
- Function as part of a team providing Basic Life Support including medical evaluation, treatment and stabilization of the critically ill and injured in accordance with the Basic Life Support Patient Care Standards and the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research Hamilton Health Sciences standards, policies and procedures
- Respond to emergency rescue situations involving potential loss of life or bodily injury; maintains control, manages and directs patient care at the scene of a pre-hospital emergency
- Respond to and manage the care and safe transportation of non-critical and elective patients
- Transport patients to appropriate facilities and as directed by CACC communications officers
- Perform inspections of emergency vehicles, and all related equipment at the commencement of each shift and after every patient carried call to ensure equipment is fully functional, supplies are clean and well stocked, and patient compartment is cleaned as required
- Maintain general vehicle and station cleanliness
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Paramedics may be assigned to either of 2 City Stations within Guelph, or any of 5 County Stations Mount Forest, Arthur, Harriston, Fergus and Rockwood. (dependant upon collective bargaining unit assignment)
Hours of Work
- Shift work will be a requirement of this position.
- No guarantee of hours of work. Employees provide availability as per the Collective Agreement. Shifts assigned on a scheduled and call-in availability basis.
Part-time paramedics shall be available to be scheduled a minimum of 6 days any shift or a combination of 6 days and 6 nights throughout the calendar month including 2 weekend shifts, either Saturday or Sunday • Availability must also include Christmas or New Years each year exempted only by Senior Management approval.
Primary Care Paramedic
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Must be licenced to drive an ambulance (Class F or equivalent) with a good driving record. During the three years immediately prior to employment as a paramedic, must not have been prohibited under the Criminal Code from driving a motor vehicle in Canada and not have had six (6) demerit points recorded on his or her record (Satisfactory driver’s abstract must be provided at time of hire)
- Have maintained, during the two years immediately prior to the date he or she commenced employment, and have continued to maintain during his or her employment, a valid driver’s licence under the Highway Traffic Act;
- Current CPR level C certification (must be issued within last 12 months from date of hire)
- *MOHLTC Mandatory Core Training
- Completion of Ambulance and Emergency Care – College Certificate program or letter of equivalency
- *MOHLTC (A) EMCA or within 210 days of graduation
- Must successfully complete the Base Hospital Certification Schedule 1 minimum within 30 days in the position
- Must not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude for which the person has not been pardoned (current satisfactory criminal record search including Vulnerable Sector Screening Search must be provided at time of hire)
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently
- Mandatory Immunization Records demonstrating compliance to the Ambulance Act Section (257) Table 1:
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza vaccine or *MOHLTC equivalent documentation
(or have proof of immunity or medical contraindication for vaccinations)
- Health status questionnaire ‘Free from Communicable Disease’
Must provide current certification of Physical Agility Evaluations through Ability Works Inc prior to time of hire. Expense of this assessment is covered by the applicant. For more information or to book a time, please visit their website at www.awci.ca
Advanced Care Paramedics
Applicants must also provide:
- Advanced Care Paramedic Program Certification
- *MOHLTC Advance Paramedic Certificate
Must be currently certified as Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistants and Advanced Care Paramedics through a recognized Base Hospital
Where applicable, must successfully complete the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research Hamilton Health Sciences Base Hospital Certification Schedule 2 minimum within 30 days in the position
- Letter of certification from local Medical Director (within 30 days of hire)
Paramedics who have obtained their training outside of Ontario can apply for equivalency with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Information on the equivalency process can be obtained by visiting the MOHLTC web site.
* refers to Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
Other Skills and Qualifications
We actively seek candidates who possess skills and education that are over and above our minimum qualifications such as relevant volunteer and/or work experience within the healthcare services and relevant professional development courses/training. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team environment are also very important. Knowledge of the City of Guelph and County of Wellington (ie. location of roads/streets) would be considered an asset.