Building Services Records Request

The records request service provides copies of Building Services property records if available. These records have been filed through a building permit application, according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We may not have the record(s) you require or the most up-to-date copies. We do not guarantee the accuracy of the records requested.

Before you submit

Looking for information on a property? You can use Public search for permits and applications. No account creation is required, all you need is the property address. Here you can access property information such as

  • Permit type and status
  • Permit issued date and closed date
  • Permit description

Please note all Building permits and applications prior to 1995 may not be shown.

If you are looking for more information, follow the steps below to make a request.

Who can apply?

  1. Current property owner with proof of ownership. Accepted proof of ownership:
    • Most recent tax bill (preferred)
    • PIN and Transfer from the Land Registry Office
    • If ownership is under a company name, a certificate of incorporation or proof of purchase agreement is required
  2. A person with the property owner’s signed authorization with proof of ownership from the current owner (section C. in the Building Services Records Request form is required).
  3. Power of Attorney, Executor of Will, legal representative, or estate trustee with proof of legal obligation/authorization of the current property owner

Types of records available through Records Request

We are only able to provide copies of records and not originals.

  • Surveys or Site plans
  • Building Permits and applications
  • Inspection reports
  • Building Plans/Drawings
  • Orders issued under the Building Code Act

Types of records not available through Records Request

  • Ownership information (past or present). Consult the Ontario Land Property Records for more information.
  • Complaints
  • Emails
  • Records currently involved in active prosecution matters
  • Agreements (encroachment, right-of-way). Consult the Ontario Land Property Records for more information.
  • Property tax records
  • Fire Services records
  • Banks
  • City-owned properties
  • Military properties

To inquire about obtaining the records or information noted above, if available, a formal request will be required under Freedom of Information.

How to apply?

Applications are to be submitted by email only. Submit one application per property address.

Complete the Building Services Records Request form and submit the required documents by email to [email protected]. Please note: once you have opened the document, please download and save the document by clicking on the ‘arrow down’ button in order for the fillable and signature fields to work.

Processing will not begin until a complete application is submitted. If the application is complete, we will search for the requested records, and notify if fees are owed.

When your request is complete, you will be notified to make a payment. Payment can be made in-person at City Hall, Building Services by credit card, debit, cash or cheque. Records (digital PDF copies or paper copies) will be released once payment has been processed.

If records are not picked up within 15 business days of notification the request will be cancelled.

If you do not have authorization from the current property owner, you must make a formal request under Freedom of Information.

Collection of Personal Information

Personal information contained in any emails, forms, or documents that you submit will be used for the purposes of verifying ownership of the property, verifying authorization to receive records, and responding to requests.

Personal information, as defined by Section 2 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and in accordance with the provisions of MFIPPA. If you have questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this personal information, please contact the Information and Access Coordinator by phone at 519-822-1260 extension 2349 or email [email protected].

What are the fees?

All fees paid for requests are non-refundable.

  • Property file search (minimum fee): $30 for first 1/2 hour
  • Additional file search fee: $15 for every 1/4 hour thereafter
  • Microfiche cards: $200 deposit per card payable by cash or certified cheque

Additional fees may be required for photocopies.

All fees include HST.

Response time for request?

Once we have confirmed you have submitted a complete application, we will start our review.

It may take up to 15 business days to process your request.

For more information

For more information contact Building Services at 519-837-5615 or [email protected].