Guelph Transit is extending the War Veteran Transit Pass program to any resident of Guelph who has actively served with the Canadian forces or its allies.
The Transit and Parking Pass Program for Veterans will provide free access to Guelph Transit or to free parking at select lots in the City of Guelph. Program participants will be required to complete an application form and verify their eligibility as per the requirements listed below, and adhere to the listed program and specific pass conditions.
The Transit Pass for Veterans is valid for use on Guelph Transit conventional, mobility services* and community buses and may not be used on any other municipal, provincial or federal transportation systems.
The Parking Pass for Veterans is valid for use only at City of Guelph municipal downtown off-street parking facilities, at on-street parking meters and at the Guelph Public Library. Applicable fees must be paid on private property, at off-street meters and lots at the General Hospital.
How to apply
Effective April 1, 2011, all new applicants are eligible to have either a Veterans Parking Pass OR a Veterans Transit Pass.
How can we help you?
Apply for an Annual Parking or Transit Pass for Veterans
If you are an existing Guelph Transit Pass for Veterans pass holder, you can mail, fax, or drop-off your completed application form at Guelph Transit’s Administration Office or ServiceGuelph in City Hall. Pass holders who were issued a “Lifetime Transit Pass for War Veterans” will continue to be eligible to apply for the parking pass while retaining their transit pass.
If you are an existing Parking Pass for Veterans pass holder, you can mail, fax, or drop-off your completed application form at ServiceGuelph in City Hall.
Annual pass holders can change their pass type once per year at renewal, between October 1 and November 30. Pass holders will be required to complete this application form and bring it and their current pass to the Parking Office to switch to a parking pass, or to the Transit Administration Office to switch to a transit pass. Switching from a parking pass to a transit pass mid-year may be permitted if there are validated extenuating circumstances (e.g. loss of driver’s licence). Please contact Transit Administration for more information.
The application form for the Annual Transit and Parking Pass Program for Veterans is available at the following locations:
- Guelph Transit Administration Office, 170 Watson Road South
- City Hall (Service Guelph), 1 Carden Street
- Red Chevron Club, 34 Elizabeth Street
- Royal Canadian Legion, 919 York Road
- Army Navy & Air Force Veterans Club, 32 Gordon Street
Terms and conditions
Applicants are required to show proof of service by providing a copy of ONE of the following documents:
- Canadian Forces Certificate of Service or Discharge Certificate (front and back) or equivalent for the Merchant Navy and Allied Forces
- Veterans Affairs Canada Health Identification Card
- if currently serving, a letter from applicant’s home unit confirming type of service, receipt of Canadian Decoration or three years of paid duty
- if police personnel, a letter from the applicant’s police service confirming his/her involvement in a NATO operation or a United Nations (UN) peacekeeping mission
- statement of service or discharge certificate showing service in Vietnam during Vietnam War in the United States forces or the forces of its allies during this war and proof of Canadian Citizenship at the time of service
Documents must be in English or French or accompanied by a certified translation of the document
Note: To qualify for the Annual Transit Pass Program, applicants MUST be a resident of the City of Guelph. Supporting documentation such as a copy of a current utility bill or a current rental/lease agreement must be provided. Non-residents may apply for the Parking Pass.
- A qualified individual may apply for either an annual Transit Pass or an annual Parking Pass but may not participate in both programs at the same time. (Effective April 1, 2011, all new program applicants are eligible to have either a Parking Pass OR a Transit Pass. Pass holders who were issued a “Lifetime Transit Pass for War Veterans” will continue to be eligible to apply for the parking pass while retaining their transit pass.)
- A qualified individual who wishes to participate in one of the programs must sign up for that program for a period of one year.
- Passes are valid from December 1st to November 30th of the following year and must be renewed annually. Pass holders must contact Guelph Transit one month prior expiry to renew the pass.
- The $25 +HST replacement fee for a lost or stolen pass is the financial responsibility of the pass holder.
- The Transit Pass and Parking Pass for Veterans is non-transferable and may only be used by the pass holder.
- The City reserves the right to confiscate any pass under this program that is used inappropriately (e.g. used by someone other than the pass holder). Misuse of the pass may result in temporary suspension of the applicant’s registration in the program.
Parking pass conditions
- The parking pass must be clearly displayed on your rear view mirror. Failure to do so may result in the issuance of a Parking Infraction notice.
- This pass is for the use of parking space only. The City assumes no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage due to fire, theft, collision, or otherwise to the vehicle or its contents.
Transit pass conditions
- The Transit Pass must be clearly shown to the driver when boarding a Guelph Transit vehicle
- The Transit Pass for Veterans is valid for use on Conventional Transit Service and, for qualified registrants on Guelph Transit Mobility Services. (Mobility Services is a specialized transit service offered by Guelph Transit for persons with mobility limitations. Qualification in the Transit Pass for Veterans program does not result in automatic qualification for Mobility Services)