The City of Guelph regulates the maximum height of fences in all areas of the City.

There may be covenants in your deed concerning fence height and design. Please review this information with your legal advisor. Boundary fence disputes should be resolved civilly between the two affected landowners.


A building permit is not required to build a fence (unless a swimming pool or hot tub is on the property).


For non-pool fences, the City of Guelph does not regulate the design of the fence, materials used, which way the “good side” faces, or the cost breakdown between neighbours.


Please refer to the diagram which outlines the maximum permitted fence height for various locations on a residential lot.

 please contact the City of Guelph Building Services at 519-837-5615 or email us at zoning@guelph.ca for an accessible version

For zones other than residential, see the specific regulations pertaining to the zone in which it is located.


To confirm where your side, rear and front property lines are located, please refer to your survey. Fences are not permitted to be built on city property. You will therefore have to ensure that you maintain the required distance back from the city curb or sidewalk.

Swimming pools and hot tubs

If you are planning to install a pool or hot tub, please contact the Building Department at 519-837-5615 for information regarding permits, inspections and fencing requirements.


The maintenance and upkeep of fences is dealt with under the Property Standards By-law. For further information on this bylaw, please contact By-law Enforcement office by emailing [email protected] or by calling 519-822-1260 extension 2526.


Your fence should not impede, obstruct or alter the flow of water drainage.

Call Before You Dig: Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 or ontarioonecall.ca

This information is intended as a general guide only. Other regulations or special circumstances may apply to your property, such as a legal non-complying status, previous minor variances or a site/area specific zoning in effect on your property. If you have any questions about the information provided, or would like to check your specific property, please contact the City of Guelph Building Services at 519-837-5615 or email us at [email protected]

Fencing and other information of interest may be found in Section 4.20 of the City of Guelph Zoning By-law (1995)-14864.