Following a successful pilot period, the City of Guelph made its Affordable Bus Pass program permanent, effective January 1, 2014. Guelph Transit’s Affordable Bus Pass is a lower cost pass to help you get around Guelph using public transportation.Adults, youths and seniors living in low-income households are encouraged to apply. Those new to the program are welcome to apply at any time. If you are a current Affordable Bus Pass holder you are reminded to reapply annually.
Affordable Bus Pass prices
50% off a regular bus pass. See Transit fares.
Forms and information2 MBAffordable Bus Pass Application Affordable Bus Pass Third Party Authorization Affordable Bus Pass Program Policy 321 kBAffordable Bus Pass Program Policy – Appendix A 80 kBAffordable Bus Pass Program Appeal Form
Affordable bus passes and application forms are also available at the following locations, or call 519-837-5618 to receive your application by mail.
- ServiceGuelph, City Hall, 1 Carden Street
- Evergreen Seniors Centre, 683 Woolwich Street
- West End Community Centre, 21 Imperial Road South – call 519-837-5657 for hours
- Guelph Transit, 170 Watson Road South
Source: Statistics Canada
Agency inquiries: 519-822-1260 extension 2042
TTY (Teletype for Deaf): 519-826-9771
General inquiries: 519-837-5618
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Affordable Bus Pass program?
The affordable bus pass is a lower-cost pass to help low-income individuals get around Guelph using public transportation. This program aims to make getting around and connecting with the community more affordable. Adults, youths, and seniors living in low-income households are encouraged to apply for this program. The affordable bus pass program is an investment in our community aimed at minimizing barriers for people living on a low income.
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligibility requirements are:
- Must be a resident of Guelph
- Adults, youths, and seniors who are experiencing barriers to accessing public transit based on their low family income as per the Statistics Canada LICO (low income cut off) measure may qualify
- Post-secondary students may apply with the exception of University of Guelph full-time students who receive a U-pass included in their student fees
How long is an individual eligible for the program?
Customers must apply annually. For example, if a person applies for an affordable bus pass in July they will need to reapply again the following July.
What is the price of an affordable bus pass?
The price of an affordable bus pass is 50 per cent of the price of a regular bus pass fee.
Can I use the affordable bus pass to ride a Guelph Transit mobility bus?
Yes. The affordable bus pass can be used on any of Guelph Transit’s buses (convention and mobility).
Where can I pick up an application or purchase an affordable bus pass?
Applications are available at the following City locations:
- ServiceGuelph, City Hall (Note: Wait times are always shorter mid-month. Save yourself time by avoiding the end-of-month lineup.)
- Evergreen Seniors Community Centre
- West End Community Centre
- Guelph Transit administration office
- guelph.ca (download application form only)
Passes can also be purchased at the same locations once an approval letter has been received.
How long does it take for my application to be processed?
It takes about two weeks or 10 business days to process an application.
I lost my affordable bus pass, what should I do?
Effective April 1, 2014, Guelph Transit’s policy for replacement passes will be applied to the Affordable Bus Pass program. “Guelph Transit will not replace lost or stolen tickets, day passes or monthly passes. Tickets, day passes and monthly passes are non-refundable. Day passes and monthly passes are non-transferrable.”