December 7, 2021
June 23, 2021
February 23, 2021
November 6, 2020
We’re reviewing how well our current Council structure and wards work for you, as we strive to become future ready. This review affects how you’re represented in local government.
On June 23, 2021, Council voted to keep 12 councillors, two per ward, adjusting Guelph’s ward boundaries to better spread Guelph’s population. Full or part time councillors will be decided by the City’s Council Renumeration and Support Advisory Committee. The new ward boundaries will be in effect ahead of the next municipal election on October 24, 2022.
How Council structure can change to serve our community.
Changing ward boundaries offers effective representation.
View the questions, comments and online surveys.
- January 27 to February 12, 2020: Interviews with Mayor and Council
- August 17 to September 4, 2020: Online engagement for City Council composition is open
- August 25, 2020: Online town hall on City Council composition from 5 to 8 p.m.
- October 22, 2020: Report with recommendations for City Council composition is live
- November 5, 2020: City Council meets to discuss the proposed recommendations to City Council composition
- January 4, 2021: Engagement options for part one of the ward boundary review where the community prioritizes their needs for Guelph’s wards.
- January 13, 2021: Tune in to the virtual town hall.
- January 22, 2021: Engagement for part one closes.
- February 23, 2021: Engagement opens for part two of the ward boundary review including preliminary ward boundary options.
- February 24, 2021: Tune in to the virtual town hall.
- March 10, 2021: Tune in to the virtual town hall.
- March 14, 2021: Engagement for part two closes.
- April 2021: The community chooses between the final ward boundary options.
- June 21, 2021: Report with recommendations for Guelph’s ward boundaries is live on guelph.ca/council. City Council meets to discuss the proposed recommendations to Guelph’s ward boundaries.
- June 23, 2021: City Council meets to discuss the proposed recommendations to Guelph’s ward boundaries (final decision night).
- December 31, 2021: Legislated deadline for passing of the ward boundary bylaw in order to be in effect for the 2022 municipal election.
- October 24, 2022: Municipal election that incorporates the City Council composition and ward boundary changes.
For more information