Lawn watering permits

To water a new or treated lawn outside of restricted days and times, please apply for a lawn watering permit. Permits are only to be used to water newly seeded or sodded lawns, existing parts of lawns where seed has been added, or lawns that have been treated with biopesticides that must be watered in to work. We highly recommend that you do not seed or sod in the hottest months of the summer but try to wait until the spring or fall season for better results.

New lawn watering permits

Permit holders can water new grass seed or sod on any day from 7 to 9 a.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. for 30 days.

Treated lawn watering permits

Permit holders can water lawns treated with biopesticides on any day at any time for 12 days to water in the treatment application. It is recommended that you water from 7 to 9 a.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

Time-shift permits

Permit holders can water new grass seed or sod every other day depending on your house address but can water outside of the allowable times. This permit is valid for 1 year for residential properties and up to 3 years for industrial, commercial, or institutional properties. You must state a valid reason for requesting this type of permit on your application form.

Applying for a lawn watering permit

Property owners can apply and purchase a permit by online form, phone or email.

519-822-1260 extension 2153
[email protected]

Apply for a residential water permit online

Apply for a contractor water permit

The $10 permit fee will be added to your next water bill from Alectra Utilities/Guelph hydro. Permits are valid as of the date and time of issue. When you receive your permit please put it in a window at the front of the property.

The City may suspend all permits if low water conditions persist for an extended period.