On this page
The current level is blue – careful use.
Allowed at all levels
- You can water vegetable gardens, trees and shrubs
- You can play in sprinklers and splash pads
- You can fill swimming pools, hot tubs, garden ponds or fountains (must recirculate water)
Outside water restrictions
Water condition reports
Please don’t waste water
Using less water helps ensure we have adequate supplies during climate change events like extreme hot weather and drought. We also want to make sure there’s enough water for our community now, and as it grows.
Use a commercial car wash – help keep soap and chemicals out of our rivers and use less water.
For automated irrigation/sprinkler systems, use a smart controller, a rain sensor or soil moisture sensor to avoid overwatering and runoff.
In addition to the fines listed above you could be fined for:
- Using a hose without a shut-off nozzle
- Using a hose to wash your driveway
- Running sprinklers or irrigation systems in the rain
- Letting sprinklers run onto driveways, sidewalks, or roads
- Overwatering lawns or gardens so the water pools or runs onto hard surfaces
- Operating a fountain or pond without recirculating the water
When you use less water, the City uses less energy to deliver water to our community and process it after it goes down the drain. Using less water also means we can delay having to find and bring on new water sources which has costs related to building new wells, treatment facilities and underground pipes.
About Guelph’s outside water use program and bylaw
Guelph takes water conservation seriously. Guelph is the largest community in Canada that relies almost completely on groundwater for our water supply. Compared to other cities near rivers or lakes, Guelph’s water supply takes much longer to replenish, and it’s a lot more vulnerable to overuse.
Thanks to you, Guelph is a national leader when it comes to water conservation, and the outside water use program is one of the most successful and recognized water conservation programs in Ontario.
For more information
Guelph Outside Water Use Program
519-822-1260 extension 2153