Information for post-secondary students

University of Guelph students: information about the Student Bus Pass

Effective January 1, 2022, eligible students began scanning their University of Guelph student ID cards on the card reader upon boarding Guelph Transit buses. For more details, please visit the Central Student Association’s Bus Pass page.

  • Fall/Winter Semester eligibility: If you are a University of Guelph main campus student and have been charged the Buss Pass fee on your student account, you are eligible for the Student Bus Pass.
  • Summer Semester eligibility: Full-time or part-time undergraduate students enrolled for the Summer Semester and full-time or part-time undergraduate students who were eligible for the Winter Semester can opt in for a bus pass directly through the Central Student Association by contacting [email protected].
  • Enrolled in distance education courses or a co-op work term: Each semester undergraduate students enrolled in distance education courses, or a co-op work term are not billed for the bus pass as part of their semester fees. They can opt in for a bus pass directly through the Central Student Association by contacting [email protected].

When opting in for a bus pass, you will be using a Guelph Transit OnYourWay fare card. If you lose your OnYourWay fare card, a new card can be obtained at a Select Retailer, for the card replacement fee. The same fee does not apply to students tapping their student card.

Conestoga college and other post-secondary students: get on your way with Guelph Transit’s post-secondary semester pass

We’re currently offering college and university students a discounted post-secondary semester pass for the Summer Semester, which is valid May 1, 2023 to August 31, 2023 for $272.

Post-secondary OnYourWay fare cards expire annually on August 31.

The post-secondary card acts as a semester pass. Anyone with e-rides or e-cash on their cards at the end of the current school year, you may transfer remaining rides or stored fares to a new card in order to use them if you are no longer eligible for the post-secondary OnYourWay fare card. All fares are final sale and cannot be refunded.

How to transfer remaining rides

Transfer leftover rides from your old post-secondary OnYourWay fare card by obtaining a new card at a select retailer and contacting [email protected] for the transfer or, in-person by visiting Guelph Transit (170 Watson Road South) or City Hall (Service Guelph).

You can also download the free OnYourWay app from the App Store or Google Play and email your old card number with the e-rides/e-cash along with the new card number to [email protected] with a request to transfer rides.

Where to buy

Once you receive the email confirmation that your eligibility has been accepted you can load your semester pass online or in the app.

  • Option 4: You can confirm eligibility and purchase the post-secondary semester pass in person at:
    • Guelph Transit administrative office: 170 Watson Road South, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Payment options: cash, debit or credit card.
    • City Hall (ServiceGuelph): 1 Carden Street, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Payment options: cash, debit or credit card.

You need to show proof of enrolment (tuition statement or course schedule showing your name, post-secondary institution and semester) when buying a reloadable fare card/semester pass

Plan your trip with:

Collection of personal information

Personal information is being collected and will be used for the purpose of verifying your eligibility for the post-secondary semester pass. The supporting documentation you provide (e.g. enrollment letter) will be deleted after staff have reviewed it and confirmed your eligibility. If you do not want to email your supporting documentation you can visit the Guelph Transit Administrative Office (170 Watson Road South), the pop-up tent at Guelph Central Station or ServiceGuelph (Guelph City Hall, 1 Carden Street).

Personal information, as defined by Section 2 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and in accordance with the provisions of MFIPPA.

If you have questions about the collection, use and disclosure of this personal information, please contact the City’s Information and Access Coordinator by phone at 519-822-1260 extension 2349 or email [email protected].

For more information

[email protected]