Anyone wishing to make a claim against the City must do so in writing within 10 days of the accident/incident in accordance with Subsection 44(10) of the Municipal Act, 2001.
For claims involving potholes, the City of Guelph is not considered responsible for damages unless it fails to inspect and maintain roads according to standards set out in the Municipal Act, 2001, Ontario Regulation 239/02 (Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways).
You can submit a claim for any of the following using the online form below:
- Slip, trip and fall claims on a City sidewalk or road
- Property damage claims
- Sewer backup and water damage claims
- Claims involving Guelph Transit
- Automobile collisions
- Pothole claims
- Other types of claims
To submit a written claim by mail or email please include:
- The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
- The contact name, mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim – if different from above;
- The date, approximate time of the incident and the exact location (address or closest intersection);
- A brief description of what happened;
- The type of damage or injury; and
- The name of any contractor involved (if known)
Please send your written claim to [email protected] or
City of Guelph, Risk Management Section
1 Carden Street
The City will acknowledge receipt of your claim as soon as possible. An investigation into your claim will be completed by City staff or an independent insurance adjuster. Please note that it may take several weeks to complete an investigation. When the investigation is complete the City or the independent insurance adjuster will contact you with the City’s position.
If the City agrees to cover your claim you will need to provide invoices/receipts to support the amount of damages claimed.
For more information
If you have any further questions about the claims process, please contact us at 519-822-1260 or e-mail us at [email protected].