What we do
Under the Public Libraries Act, we provide City of Guelph residents opportunities to “Explore, Connect, Thrive”. The Public Libraries Act helps ensure free, equitable access to public library service in Ontario.
Why we do it
A strong library system is the cornerstone of a strong community. It contributes to education, literacy and life-long learning in Ontario communities. Municipal bylaws create Ontario’s public libraries and public library boards govern them. The Guelph Public Library supports the City of Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment. The Guelph Public Library working together with our partners, powers, sustains, navigates, and builds our future.
2021 to 2024+ initiatives
- Continue to deliver excellent services to the community.
- Offer a wide variety of services and programs at each location that appeals to all ages and communities.
- Continue the work on a new Central Library that will fulfil Our Vision: A thriving community. Created together.
- Continue to build community resilience by promoting literacy and equitable access to materials and resources
Operating budget—Revenues and expenses
2021 budget impacts
$360,950 net increase budget change in 2021 due to:
- $74,450 increase in compensation due to Council approved collective agreement increases.
- $15,600 increase in purchased goods primarily driven by elevated expenses in janitorial supplies due to COVID-19.
- $41,800 increase in purchases services driven by elevated expenses in janitorial service due to COVID-19, and greater software maintenance costs.
- $4,100 increase in Internal Charges for corporate support.
- $225,000 increase in transfer to the Tax Rate Operating Contingency Reserve to phase in the operating impacts from the new central library.
2022 to 2024 budget impacts
$3,882,610 net increase in operating budget change in 2022 to 2024 primarily related to operating impacts from the new central library.
- $3,275,000 operating impacts from the new central library.
- $86,300 increase in Purchase Services due to inflation and rental increases.
- $8,100 increase in Internal Charges.