Licences to serve and/or sell alcohol

To serve and/or sell alcohol in Guelph you will need a liquor licence/permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Certain licences require that you serve notice to the City Clerk or are required to get municipal clearance or approvals from the City of Guelph.

Licence to Serve Alcohol – municipal clearance

Step 1 – Submit application to AGCO via iAGCO.

Additional information for first-time applicants.

Step 2 – Submit to the licensing division.

Visit City Hall and submit:

  1. A copy of your AGCO submission
  2. Municipal Information form (supplied by AGCO)
  3. A floor plan – inside and outside spaces as detailed as possible
  4. Payment for $75 fee (Payments accepted: cash or cheque payable to “The City of Guelph”)
  5. If applicable encroachment agreement with City for patio space

Please submit this information in person to the Service Guelph counter. Once this application has been submitted we request 30 days to complete the municipal information form.

How our process works

  • Zoning department reviews and provides terms and conditions
  • Municipal information form is signed by City Clerk
  • Licensing staff submit form and letter directly to AGCO via email. (A copy of your submission will be emailed to you)

Questions: contact licensing at [email protected] or 519-822-1260 extension 2551

Step 3 – Agency Letters of Approval

You will need to contact the following departments to complete your Agency letter of approval

Licence to Operate a Retail Store – retail store authorization

If you require a licence to operate a retail store that sells alcohol, the Licensing Department will complete the Municipal Information form and submit it to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

How to apply

Visit City Hall and submit:

Special Occasion Permits