Guelph Community Food Forest
The food forest is located in University Village Park. This is Guelph’s first Urban Demonstration Food Forest. The food forest is being maintained and used for education purposes on topics of food security, urban green space design, water management, pollinator habitat and natural heritage.
For more information
Named after George Sleeman, owner of Guelph’s Springbank Brewery, builder of the Guelph Street Railway, former Mayor and director of Guelph Junction Railway.
Riverside Park is a perfect location to host seasonable events. The Park offers the following: Floral Clock and Rock Gardens; a fully accessible children’s playground; an outdoor concert shell; an antique carousel; miniature train; horseshoe pits; a sand beach area; trails along the river front; 3 baseball diamonds; a scaled model of the first house built in Guelph by John Galt; and a large and small picnic shelter. A leash free zone located on the east side of the Speed River.
The updated play area offers a new playground featuring a tube slide, tower, swings and climbing obstacles. New asphalt pathways, seating areas and a combination of rubber and wood surfaces for kids to play on surround the new playground.
The Floral Clock and Gardens are meticulously maintained and open daily for your enjoyment. Thousands of interesting plants provide beauty and colour year round. These gardens are perfect for wedding photographs, however, note that the gardens cannot be reserved. Please be courteous of other wedding parties and other members of the public who maybe sharing the space with you.
Plants used in the floral display
For private bookings outside of regular operating hours, email [email protected].
Third park to be acquired in the City. In 1908 the park was donated by John Walter Lyon. The donation of the park was under the condition that the City would spend $250/year for 10 years to develop the park and Mr. Lyon would match the funding. Early amenities in the park included a canoe landing in the Eramosa River, a bathing house and a bandstand.
Established in 1871, the land was purchased by the City for its annual exhibition. The park included a horse race track, exhibition building and livestock sheds. Later additions included a bandstand and baseball diamonds. The original stadium was built in 1925 and the arena in 1965.