Getting married is a two-step process, which includes:
- First, applying for and making an appointment to get your marriage licence.
- Second, to have a marriage ceremony within 90 days of getting your marriage licence.
- A marriage ceremony includes the marriage licence document, a registered officiant, and at least two witnesses.
Marriage ceremonies are a limited, part-time service offered at the City of Guelph. Book your marriage ceremony at least 4 weeks in advance. We cannot guarantee desired dates and times for marriage ceremonies.
Should you need marriage officiant services that the City of Guelph cannot accommodate, consider the following to find a marriage officiant:
- Consult websites and reach out to other municipalities in Ontario
- Reference the Service Ontario guide of registered religious officiants in the Province of Ontario
519-822-1260 extension 5650
Civil marriage ceremony fees
|Type of service||Fee|
|Ceremony during regular hours at City Hall||$250|
|Ceremony at a different time or location in Guelph (No Sundays)||$400|
|Ceremony at a different time or location outside Guelph (No Sundays)||$400 plus a mileage fee|
Fees do not include HST. Fees can be paid in person or by phone and must be paid prior to the ceremony.
Getting married at Guelph City Hall
Civil marriage ceremonies are being provided for couples who are looking for a small, simple, non-religious ceremony at City Hall.
Marriage ceremonies take place on select Fridays at 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
About the ceremony:
- The ceremony is a maximum of 30 minutes long.
- Couples must provide two witnesses.
- Couples must provide an interpreter if they do not speak English and/or require language assistance (the interpreter cannot be a member of the couple getting married or one of the witnesses).
- Up to twenty (20) people may attend a ceremony (includes the couple, witnesses, and photographer if present).
Getting married at a different time or place
Looking to get married at home, a backyard, or a dedicated venue? A City of Guelph marriage officiant can perform civil marriage ceremonies at other times and locations. Please contact us to discuss options for getting married at a different time or location.
We do not offer civil marriage ceremonies on Sundays.
Visit serviceontario.ca/gettingmarried to learn who can perform a legal marriage ceremony in Ontario.
Set the date
You can apply for a marriage licence up to 90 days before your wedding day.
Scheduling your marriage licence appointment at Guelph City Hall is done through a separate authority from marriage ceremonies. Please consult website: