Please be advised, due to the COVID-19 pandemic civil marriage ceremonies will only be provided for couples and their witnesses who live in the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Region.
All participants will also be required to complete a self-assessment prior to their scheduled ceremony. Individuals experiencing any COIVD-19 related symptoms will not be permitted to enter the facility. Information on the self-assessment can be found on the Province of Ontario’s website.
Set the date
You can apply for a marriage licence up to 90 days before your wedding day.
How to apply for a marriage licence
Contact us to schedule your marriage ceremony
519-822-1260 extension 5650
Getting married at Guelph City Hall
As of November 1, 2020, updates have been made to our civil marriage ceremony process. We will be performing civil marriage ceremonies at reduced times, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, to allow for cleaning of Council Chambers between ceremonies.
Marriage ceremonies will now take place:
- Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Fridays at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Rules for marriage ceremonies during COVID-19:
- No more than 4 people per ceremony (The couple and their two witnesses)
- Wear a face mask inside City Hall (The couple will be permitted to remove their masks during the ceremony only).
- Stay two meters (6.5 feet) from people you don’t live with, including guests and the marriage officiant.
- Bring your own blue or black pen.
- Photos before and after the ceremony will not be permitted within Council Chambers. Photos may be taken during the ceremony.
- Use available alcohol-based hand sanitizer before, during and after the ceremony.
At least two witnesses must be present during your ceremony. Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic witnesses are currently not being provided by the City of Guelph.
Getting married at a different time or place
A City of Guelph marriage officiant can perform civil marriage ceremonies at other times and locations. Please contact us to discuss options for getting married at a different time or location.
We do offer civil marriage ceremonies on Saturdays, however, starting August 29, 2020, we will no longer be offering Saturday ceremonies at City Hall.
We do not offer civil marriage ceremonies on Sundays.
Visit serviceontario.ca/gettingmarried to learn who can perform a legal marriage ceremony in Ontario.
Civil marriage ceremony fees
|Type of service||Fee|
|Ceremony during regular hours at City Hall||$250|
|Ceremony at a different time or location in Guelph (No Sundays)||$400|
|Ceremony at a different time or location outside Guelph (No Sundays)||$400 plus a mileage fee|
|City employee acts as a witness (Not currently available)||$28 per witness|
Fees do not include HST. Fees can be paid in person or by phone and must be paid prior to the ceremony.