Petitions are a great way of participating in your municipal government by bringing attention to a matter of public interest.
Read the Public Petitions Policy
Preparing your petition
If you prefer to use your own petition, it must include:
- Address to City Council
- Request an action for Council to take that’s within their authority and have it stated at the top of each petition page
- Contact information and name of the organizer
- Include the “Collection of Personal Information” statement
- Include names, addresses and original signatures from petition signers (hard copy only)
- Include names, addresses and emails from petition signers (digital only)
Petitions from petition websites such as change.org cannot be accepted, however you can submit them as correspondence for a Council agenda item. Learn how to submit correspondence and deadlines at guelph.ca/delegate.
Submit your petition to Council
Mail to Guelph City Hall to the attention of the City Clerk’s office, 1 Carden Street, Guelph, Ontario, N1H 3A1 or deliver it in person to Service Guelph at City Hall.
Email electronic petitions to [email protected].
Deadline to submit a petition for Council agenda items
Petitions that address an upcoming topic at a Council meeting must be submitted by 10 a.m. on the Friday before the meeting. Find council meeting dates and agendas at guelph.ca/council.
Petitions introducing new business
Petitions introducing new business that are not related to an upcoming agenda item will be included with the weekly information items and must have at least 25 signatures to qualify. Read the Public Petitions Policy for more information.
For more information