March 16, 2018
February 14, 2018
The Baker District redevelopment is a City of Guelph development project aimed at transforming the existing parking lot and properties fronting the north end of Wyndham Street into a unique mixed-use development, including a new main library.
The Downtown Secondary Plan envisions the Baker District redevelopment becoming a model of urban intensification that drives visitors to the downtown and encourages business to thrive within its boundaries by combining residential and commercial spaces.
- Increases to downtown visitation
- Increases to the downtown residential population
- Improvements to connectivity for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles
- Establishment of new architectural landmarks
- Adding additional public parking
- Incorporation of best practices in environmental design
- Availability of affordable housing
Windmill Development Group is the preferred partner to lead the planning, design and development for the Baker District project.
The development team, led by Windmill, includes Diamond Schmidt Architects, DTAH, and Urban Equation Corporation. The companies, who have successfully worked together before, will work closely with the City and Guelph Public Library to arrive at a final plan for the development.
Windmill will own and develop the residential and commercial components, and partner with the City in developing the public components (e.g. library, parking and public space). The City will support the development of the site by completing technical studies, environmental site preparation and upgrades to off-site infrastructure. The City will also consider whether support for the development project is available through Downtown Guelph Community Improvement Plan grant and loan programs.
There will be multiple opportunities for the community to participate in the development of the Baker District, both through the Guelph Public Library as it develops the new library space and programming, and the City as the Baker District design concepts are developed and refined. Opportunities for engagement will be shared with the community as this multi-year project progresses.
- July 2018 Baker District redevelopment – RFP Findings and recommendations
- 2017 Baker District Staff Report
- 2014 Baker District Staff Report
- Downtown Secondary Plan
- Downtown Community Improvement Plan
- Downtown Guelph Strategic Assessment
For more information
Martin Jewitt, Project Manager
Business Development and Enterprise
City of Guelph
518-822-1260 extension 3360