Social Media at the City of Guelph
Building a respectful online community
Every day, people discuss and debate City of Guelph plans, decisions, programs, services, and policies in hundreds of online conversations.
The City of Guelph values these conversations and welcomes the opportunity to build relationships with community groups, residents, immigrants, visitors, businesses, potential investors and other stakeholders.
The City also expects some level of criticism. In some cases, that criticism presents an opportunity to consider alternatives. In others, it presents an opportunity to listen and respond to public opinion or correct misinformation.
The following principles and guidelines govern how the City participates in, and encourages respectful online conversations.
Social media principles for elected officials and employees
- Listen to what people are saying before joining the conversation.
- Engage: invite ideas and encourage discussion.
- Enable: simple, straightforward language improves interaction.
- Share: be friendly and honest to build meaningful relationships.
- Participate: post and interact regularly, and be prepared for positive and negative comments. Encourage respect and measure all actions against the City of Guelph Corporate Values: Integrity, Excellence and Wellness.
Social media guidelines
- Commenting guidelines for users
- Guidelines for elected officials
- Guidelines for City of Guelph employees
How can we help you?
Use the online form to report a problem or disruption in City services.