June 24, 2020
The City of Guelph values a commitment to integrity, excellence and wellness. Keeping children safe is a priority for the City. School crossing guards are a vital part of our community and as city employees strive to provide high-quality
service. Crossing guards are present during school arrival and dismissal times to assist students and pedestrians in crossing the street.
Be aware, be patient, be courteous. Keep our pedestrians safe.
- Slow down when approaching a school crossing zone or an intersection near a school.
- Please obey the school crossing guard. Pedestrians always have the right of way when crossing lawfully.
- Make eye contact with the guard or pedestrian.
- If the school crossing guard has their STOP sign raised, indicating their intention to enter the roadway, drivers must STOP.
- Drivers must remain stopped until all pedestrians including the crossing guard are safely on the sidewalk.
- Drivers failing to stop for the crossing guard may be fined up to $500 under provincial legislation
For your safety, follow these tips when crossing roads:
- Please obey crossing guards when present
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Get off of bikes, skateboards and scooters before crossing
- Never stop in the middle of an intersection; stopping may confuse waiting drivers
- Always yield to emergency vehicles; if you’ve already started crossing, clear the road quickly and safely
- At crossings with signals:
- Only cross when the pedestrian walk signal is displayed
- Never start crossing when the don’t walk signal is flashing; this signal means you don’t have enough time to cross safely
Your crossing guard’s safety is in your hands
Adult school crossing guards must stay in the road until everyone is safely on the sidewalk. When you start crossing after the don’t walk signal starts, you put your adult school crossing guard at risk if the light changes before they can safely exit the intersection.
Adult crossing guard locations and times
Guard shifts – start and end times (co-ordinated times)
|Paisley Road at Alma Street||n/a||8:15 to 8:50 a.m.||3:10 to 3:45 p.m.|
|Imperial Road at Stephanie Drive||n/a||8:05 to 8:45 a.m.||2:55 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Scottsdale Drive at Ironwood Road||n/a||8:15 to 8:40 a.m.||3:05 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Paisley Road at Silvercreek Parkway||n/a||8:10 to 8:40 a.m.||3:20 to 3:45 p.m.|
|Willow Road at Westwood Road||n/a||8:15 to 8:50 a.m.||3:05 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Elmira Road at Willow Road||n/a||8:15 to 8:45 a.m.||3:10 to 3:30 p.m.|
|Dublin Street at Cambridge Street||Flashing stop sign||8:20 to 8:50 a.m.||3:05 to 3:25 p.m.|
|Edinburgh Road at Ironwood and Youngman||n/a||8:15 to 8:45 a.m.||3 to 3:25 p.m.|
|Victoria Road North at St. Patrick’s Catholic Elementary School||n/a||8:15 to 8:40 a.m.||3:05 to 3:30 p.m.|
|Stevenson Street at Balsam Drive||n/a||8 to 8:35 a.m.||2:55 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Stevenson Street at Speedvale Avenue||n/a||8:05 to 8:40 a.m.||2:55 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Grange Road at Auden Road||Flashing stop sign||8:15 to 8:50 a.m.||3:25 to 3:55 p.m.|
|Stevenson Street at Emma Street||n/a||8:20 to 8:50 a.m.||3:10 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Victoria Road North at Eastview Road||8:10 to 8:45 a.m.||3:15 to 3:45 p.m.|
|Metcalfe Street at Emma Street||n/a||8:10 to 8:45 a.m.||3:10 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Victoria Road at Woodlawn Road||n/a||8:15 to 8:50 a.m.||3:05 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Summerfield Drive at Colonial Drive||Flashing stop sign||8:10 to 8:45 a.m.||3:00 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Victoria Road North at St. John’s Catholic Elementary School||n/a||8:20 to 8:50 a.m.||3:20 to 3:50 p.m.|
|Eramosa Road at Metcalfe Street||n/a||8 to 8:25 a.m.||2:55 to 3:20 p.m.|
|Willow Road at Bonar Place||n/a||8:15 to 8:45 a.m.||3:05 to 3:25 p.m.|
|Stephanie Drive at Rochelle Drive||Flashing stop sign||8:05 to 8:40 a.m.||2:50 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Metcalfe Street at Lemon Street||n/a||8 to 8:20 a.m.||2:45 to 3:15 p.m.|
|Colonial Drive at Sir Isaac Brock Public School||Flashing stop sign||8:15 to 8:40 a.m.||2:55 to 3:20 p.m.|
|Grange Road at Kearney Street||Flashing stop sign||8 to 8:35 a.m.||3 to 3:30 p.m.|
|Watson Pky N at Grange Road||n/a||8 to 8:45 a.m.||3 to 3:40 p.m.|
|Woodlawn Road E at Inverness Drive||n/a||8:10 to 8:45 a.m.||3:10 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Starwood Drive at Lee Street||Flashing Stop Sign||8:10 to 8:40 a.m.||3 to 3:35 p.m.|
|Hall Avenue at Goodwin Drive||Flashing stop sign||8:05 to 8:35 a.m.||2:45 to 3:05 p.m.|
|Delhi Street at Eramosa Road||n/a||7:50 to 8:20 a.m.||2:55 to 3:30 p.m.|
|Waverley Drive at Windsor Drive||Flashing stop sign||8:10 to 8:40 a.m.||3:05 to 3:25 p.m.|
|Zudak Place at McCann Street||Flashing stop sign||8 to 8:25 a.m.||2:50 to 3:05 p.m.|
|Eastview Road at Severn Drive||Flashing stop sign||8:35 to 8:55 a.m.||3:30 to 3:50 p.m.|
|Lane Street near Ryan Avenue||Flashing stop sign||8 to 8:25 a.m.||2:50 to 3:15 p.m.|
If you notice that the school crossing guard is not present at their location during one of their shifts, please contact Christine Vettor, Coordinator, Adult School Crossing Guards at 519-822-1260 extension 2040. Leave the date, time and location where the guard was not present.
What should I do if I see a motorist disobey the school crossing guard?
The City of Guelph works closely with the Guelph Police Service and the individual schools to ensure that pedestrians are able to cross city streets safely with the assistance of a school crossing guard.
If you notice a motorist disobeying a school crossing guard (i.e. proceeding through the crossing when the guard had the stop sign raised, or running a red signal), try and record the following information:
- vehicle license plate number
- make, model and colour of the vehicle
- description of the driver
Send this information to Christine Vettor at [email protected] or call 519-822-1260 extension 2040. We will then forward the information to the Guelph Police Service.