The City of Guelph values a commitment to integrity, excellence and wellness. Keeping children safe is a priority for the City. School crossing guards are a vital part of our community and as city employees strive to provide high-quality
service. Crossing guards are present during school arrival and dismissal times to assist students and pedestrians in crossing the street.
Be aware, be patient, be courteous. Keep our pedestrians safe.
- Slow down when approaching a school crossing zone or an intersection near a school.
- Please obey the school crossing guard. Pedestrians always have the right of way when crossing lawfully.
- Make eye contact with the guard or pedestrian.
- If the school crossing guard has their STOP sign raised, indicating their intention to enter the roadway, drivers must STOP.
- Drivers must remain stopped until all pedestrians including the crossing guard are safely on the sidewalk.
- Drivers failing to stop for the crossing guard may be fined up to $500 under provincial legislation
For your safety, follow these tips when crossing roads:
- Please obey crossing guards when present
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Get off of bikes, skateboards and scooters before crossing
- Never stop in the middle of an intersection; stopping may confuse waiting drivers
- Always yield to emergency vehicles; if you’ve already started crossing, clear the road quickly and safely
- At crossings with signals:
- Only cross when the pedestrian walk signal is displayed
- Never start crossing when the don’t walk signal is flashing; this signal means you don’t have enough time to cross safely
Your crossing guard’s safety is in your hands
Adult school crossing guards must stay in the road until everyone is safely on the sidewalk. When you start crossing after the don’t walk signal starts, you put your adult school crossing guard at risk if the light changes before they can safely exit the intersection.
Adult crossing guard locations and times
Guard shifts – start and end times (co-ordinated times)
|Location||Flashing Paddle (F/P)||Leading Pedestrian Intervals (LPI)||Morning Start time||Morning End Time||Afternoon Start time||Afternoon End Time|
|001 Paisley Road at Alma Street North||n/a||LPI||8:15||8:50||3:10||3:35|
|002 Imperial Road South at Stephanie Drive||n/a||LPI||8:05||8:45||2:55||3:40|
|003 Scottsdale Drive at Ironwood Road||n/a||n/a||8:15||8:40||3:05||3:40|
|004 Paisley Road at Silvercreek Parkway North||n/a||n/a||8:10||8:40||3:20||3:45|
|005 Willow Road at Westwood Road||n/a||LPI||8:15||8:50||3:05||3:40|
|006 Elmira Road North at Willow Road||n/a||n/a||8:15||8:45||3:10||3:30|
|007 Dublin Street North at Cambridge Street||F/P||n/a||8:20||8:50||3:05||3:25|
|008 Edinburgh Road South at Ironwood Road and Youngman Drive||n/a||LPI||8:15||8:45||3:00||3:25|
|009 Victoria Road North at St. Patrick Catholic Elementary School||n/a||n/a||8:15||8:40||3:05||3:30|
|010 Stevenson Street North at Balsam Drive||n/a||n/a||8:10||8:35||2:55||3:40|
|011 Stevenson Street North at Speedvale Avenue East||n/a||n/a||8:05||8:40||2:55||3:40|
|012 Grange Road at Auden Road||F/P||n/a||8:15||8:50||3:25||3:55|
|013 Stevenson Street North at Emma Street||n/a||n/a||8:20||8:50||3:10||3:40|
|014 Victoria Road North at Eastview Road||n/a||n/a||8:20||8:45||3:15||3:45|
|015 Metcalfe Street at Emma Street||F/P||n/a||8:15||8:25||3:10||3:30|
|015 Metcalfe Street at Emma Street (b)||F/P||n/a||8:25||8:45||3:30||3:35|
|016 Victoria Road North at Woodlawn Road East||n/a||n/a||8:20||8:45||3:05||3:35|
|017 Summerfield Drive at Colonial Drive||F/P||n/a||8:10||8:45||3:00||3:25|
|018 Victoria Road North at St. John Catholic Elementary School||n/a||n/a||8:20||8:50||3:20||3:50|
|019 Eramosa Road at Metcalfe Street||n/a||LPI||8:00||8:25||2:55||3:20|
|020 Willow Road at Bonar Place||n/a||n/a||8:15||8:45||3:05||3:25|
|021 Stephanie Drive at Rochelle Drive||F/P||n/a||8:10||8:45||2:50||3:35|
|022 Metcalfe Street at Lemon Street||F/P||n/a||8:00||8:20||2:45||3:10|
|023 Colonial Drive at Sir Isaac Brock Public School||F/P||n/a||8:15||8:40||2:55||3:20|
|024 Grange Road at Kearney Street||F/P||n/a||8:00||8:35||3:00||3:30|
|025 Watson Parkway North at Grange Road||n/a||n/a||8:00||8:45||3:00||3:40|
|026 Woodlawn Road East at Inverness Drive||n/a||n/a||8:15||8:40||3:10||3:30|
|027 Starwood Drive at Lee Street||F/P||n/a||8:15||8:40||3:00||3:25|
|028 Hall Avenue at Goodwin Drive||F/P||n/a||8:05||8:35||2:45||3:05|
|029 Delhi Street at Eramosa Road||n/a||n/a||7:50||8:20||2:55||3:30|
|030 Waverley Drive at Windsor Street||F/P||n/a||8:10||8:40||3:05||3:25|
|031 Zaduk Place at McCann Street||F/P||n/a||8:00||8:25||2:50||3:05|
|032 Eastview Road at Severn Drive||F/P||n/a||8:35||9:00||3:30||3:50|
|033 Lane Street near Ryan Avenue||F/P||n/a||8:00||8:25||2:50||3:15|
If you notice that the school crossing guard is not present at their location during one of their shifts, please contact Christine Vettor, Coordinator, Adult School Crossing Guards at 519-822-1260 extension 2040. Leave the date, time and location where the guard was not present.
Thank a crossing guard
What should I do if I see a motorist disobey the school crossing guard?
The City of Guelph works closely with the Guelph Police Service and the individual schools to ensure that pedestrians are able to cross city streets safely with the assistance of a school crossing guard.
If you notice a motorist disobeying a school crossing guard (i.e. proceeding through the crossing when the guard had the stop sign raised, or running a red signal), try and record the following information:
- vehicle license plate number
- make, model and colour of the vehicle
- description of the driver
Send this information to Christine Vettor at [email protected] or call 519-822-1260 extension 2040. We will then forward the information to the Guelph Police Service.