Newspaper boxes

Common concerns about newspaper boxes include graffiti, damage, misleading signs and/or placing a box on a property without permission. To report these or other concerns:

Licensing newspaper/publication dispensing boxes

Newspaper/publication distribution boxes must be licensed by the City of Guelph. According to the City’s business licensing bylaw, the City can:

  • Remove unlicensed newspaper boxes
  • Issue fines for unlicensed newspaper boxes
  • Require the licensed operator to maintenance or repair the box and/or the area around it

To get a licence, operators need to:

  • Get the property owner’s permission to place the box
  • Meet Guelph’s zoning bylaw
  • Clearly identify who owns the box
  • Maintain adequate insurance
  • Maintain and/or repair boxes routinely
  • Demonstrate boxes will not cause safety concerns or affect pedestrian accessibility

Apply for a donation bin or publication box licence