Overnight parking, parking permits

Overnight Parking Downtown

Please use municipal parking lots for overnight parking. On-street overnight parking is not permitted downtown.

Overnight parking in your neighbourhood

You can get a temporary exemption to park on the street overnight:

  • Maximum two vehicles per exemption
  • Maximum two days per exemption
  • Maximum 12 exemptions per year

All on-street parking and exemptions may be suspended during winter storms and/or other emergencies.

Winter parking

Guelph limits on-street parking to make room for snowplows, buses and emergency vehicles.

From December 1 at 2 a.m. until April 1 at 2 a.m. on-street parking is not permitted between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. unless otherwise posted.

Get a parking permit

Downtown parking permit

Downtown parking permits are issued based on availability. Monthly fees are lower in the lots outside the downtown core. When you apply, please consider two possible parking lot locations.

Accessible parking permit

People living with disabilities on a limited income can apply for a free accessible parking permit. Your application must include:

  • Ministry of Transportation Accessible Parking Permit number and expiry date
  • Your address in Guelph and the number of people living in your home
  • Annual income (Income Tax Assessment)

The permit is valid for one year and can be used at all City-owned parking lots, parkades, and metered parking spaces. Please ensure both accessible parking permits are visible.

Veteran parking permit or transit pass

Veterans can apply for a free parking permit to use in municipal parking lots downtown and on-street metres at the Guelph Public Library. Veteran permits are not valid for parking on private property, off-street parking meters, or parking lots at the Guelph General Hospital.

To apply you’ll need a copy of one of the following documents:

  • Canadian Forces Certificate of Service or Discharge Certificate (front and back) or equivalent for the Merchant Navy and Allied Forces
  • Veterans Affairs Canada Health Identification Card
  • A letter from your home unit confirming type of service, receipt of Canadian Decoration or three years of paid duty
  • A letter from your police service confirming your involvement in a NATO operation or a United Nations (UN) peacekeeping mission
  • Statement of service or discharge certificate showing service in Vietnam during Vietnam War in the United States forces or the forces of its allies during this war and proof of Canadian Citizenship at the time of service

Documents must be in English or French or accompanied by a certified translation of the document.

Applications are also available at:

Bike parking permit (Market Parkade)

A one-year bike parking permit is $40. Complete the online permit application, and pick up and pay for your permit at City Hall.